× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WNAP210 v2 - Connection getting slower during 24hrs

djqkat
Aspirant

WNAP210 v2 - Connection getting slower during 24hrs

Hi there,

I have a WNAP210 v2 which is connected to a Hitron CVE-30360 I got from my ISP (so I have to use it).

The Hitron functions as a DHCP server, the DHCP function of the WNAP210 is turned off and it has a static IP address.

During 24hrs I can register a constantly slower network over wifi which makes browsing the internet not possible in the end. So I have so cut power on the WNAP210 and after a reboot it works well until it get's slower and slower again.

We have here 8 wireless devices. Wifi security is WPA2-PSK.

The firmware for the WNAP is the latest.

In addition I register drops of the wifi connection which can be found in the log of the WNAP210.

I found a hint on this forum to switch off AMPDU, which I have done now.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance
Robert

Model: WNAP210v2|ProSafe Wireless N access point
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: WNAP210 v2 - Connection getting slower during 24hrs

@djqkat,

I would agree about checking the wireless channels being used by other existing wireless networks within your area.  Then, select a wireless channel for your own wireless network that is not commonly used.  Observe if this helps.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 13

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi djqkat,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Kindly answer the questions below:

a. Are you able to go online wirelessly just fine before through the WNAP210v2? 

b. Is the wired connection through the Hitron CVE-30360 just fine when accessing the internet?

c. How is the WNAP210v2 deployed?  Is it mounted on the ceiling or on the side wall?  How high is it from the floor?

d. Are there any other wireless networks within the area where the WNAP210v2 is deployed?

e. Have you tried changing the wireless channels?  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 13
djqkat
Aspirant

Hi,

a. Yeah, I had another access point before but it had only poor wifi signal strengh so I had to use a wifi repeater. The connection was slow, but it was constantly slow (as expected over huge distance and encryption and so on).

b. The wired connection works flawlessly.

c. The WNAP sits on the top of a wooden cupboard and is about 2 meter above the ground.

I don't think it is a location problem since after restart the connection is super fast, like I would expect it. After some hours it get's slower and slower. Regardless if you are far away from the access point or just 3 meters away.

d. Yeah, there are a lot of other wifi networks around... I think about 15 or so.

e. No, I haven't tried it yet. I left the channel mode in auto, I thought it would figure out the best wifi channel on it own.

I'm thinking about checking the wifi channels of the other networks with wireshark and then select a less common one. Would you recommend this?

Greetings,

Robert

Message 3 of 13
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@djqkat,

I would agree about checking the wireless channels being used by other existing wireless networks within your area.  Then, select a wireless channel for your own wireless network that is not commonly used.  Observe if this helps.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 13
djqkat
Aspirant

Hi,

okay I will try this and give feedback.

Greeting,

Robert

Message 5 of 13
djqkat
Aspirant

Hi there,

so I checked the used channels from the other wifi networks here around our place and two of the most used channels are 6 and 11. My WNAP was set to 11, so I changed it to 8. Mostly because 8 is the lucky number in China and I think I need some luck to get this fixed Smiley Very Happy

I will monitor the performance over the next 24hrs and get back to you with the results.

Greetings,

Robert

Message 6 of 13
djqkat
Aspirant

Hi,

I have here an excerpt from the log file, can you tell me why this connection is getting dropped?

Mar 22 23:51:44 kernel: wbuf_tx_complete:droping eapol frame for station --:--:--:eb:9c:9a (TXERROR)
Mar 22 23:51:46 hostapd: wifi0vap0: STA --:--:--:eb:9c:9a WPA: EAPOL-Key timeout

Thank you!

Greetings, Robert

Message 7 of 13
djqkat
Aspirant

Hi,

after watching this video and since I'm in europe I switched the channel from 8 to 9.

https://support.metageek.com/hc/en-us/articles/216950047-Why-Channels-1-6-and-11-

May be this setting does the job?

Greetings

Robert

Message 8 of 13
djqkat
Aspirant

Hi there,

so it looks like all together (changing challen and switching off AMPDU) has solved my problems.

Now even video-streaming is working like expected.

Greetings,

Robert

Message 9 of 13
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@djqkat,

Thanks for the update.  I'm glad to know that changing the wireless channel and switching off AMPDU helped resolve the problem.  

Feel free to post your future concerns here in the community! 🙂 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 13
djqkat
Aspirant

Hi DaneA,

after some days it looks like it is still not working like expected.

The connection is getting slower over time, until it is not possible to use WiFi any more.

My temporary solution is a time switch to cut power during the night and so force the access point to reboot. After this the connection is fast again.

It feels like there is a buffer which is getting full or a log-file which is getting too big?!

Do you have an ideas?

Greetings,

Robert

Message 11 of 13
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@djqkat,

I have just re-read this thread.  Kindly try to perform a factory reset on the WNAP210v2 then reconfigure it from scratch.  Observe if the same problem occurs.

If ever the same problem recur, I suggest you to open an online case with NETGEAR Support for further assistance.  Kindly state your concern and the troubleshooting steps you've done so far to isolate the problem.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 12 of 13
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@djqkat,

I just want to follow-up on this. Were you able to perform a factory reset on the WNAP210v2 then reconfigure it from scratch?  If yes, what are your observations?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements