Re: WNAP210 with Macbook laptops

shamil
Aspirant

WNAP210 with Macbook laptops

My equipment:
- WMS-5316 Wireless controller
- x4 WNAP210 Access points

I've successfully configured the controller with access points. And everything seems to work. My network consists of Apple MacBook laptops and standard PC laptops. All the PC laptops work fine, but MacBook laptops having issues with the wireless. After couple of minutes the network connectivity got lost, the connection state of the wireless adapter (Airport) shows connected, but no actual network connectivity. To fix this, they will need to re-enable their Wireless card (Airport) to make it work again.

For some laptops it happens rarely for other very often. The configuration is pretty default with WPA/WPA2 security, no load-balancing enabled.

Please help.
Message 1 of 7
dexterous
Aspirant

I am a network engineer for a Netgear reseller that provides solutions for companies with Apple equipment (as well as everything else). We have seen the issue you are describing at around a half dozen sites and its extremely frustrating. We have put tons of time into fixing the issue and countless hours on the phone with Netgear support. If you make it up to the higher levels of support the techs know all about the existence of this issue even though it seems like they aren't supposed to admit it (no clue if thats true but it really seems like it based on how they respond).

Unfortunately, the only thing that seems to fix the issue is to replace the Netgear equipment with something else. This is pretty terrible solution since we are also the Netgear reseller who sold the customers the equipment in the first place! So far we have had to buy back two networks worth of WAPs and controllers (extremely painful) while Netgear just sits there saying "we are working on a fix". Needless to say, we no longer use Netgear wireless equipment for any of our installs.

For the record, this issue seems to be isolated to recently released (within the past 18-24 months) access points that are connected to a WiFi controller. We have not had any issues with stand-alone installations.
Message 2 of 7
shamil
Aspirant

I found a workaround, I've disabled AMPDU, this slows down a wireless N, but at least Macbooks laptops work fine.
Message 3 of 7
RSchwein
Aspirant

Up until early Nov. I really had problems with MAC's and WNDAP 350/360's and the WC7520 controller. However, several WC7520 updates (well beyond the 2.2.1 on Netgears support site) have now given me trouble free MAC connections on all my campuses. Just FYI Bob
Message 4 of 7
blaxer
Aspirant

How did you get the updates that are beyond what is available on netgear's website?
Message 5 of 7
Daedalus01
Aspirant

You have to contact netgear for it. Usually, they are beta versions of the firmware that are going to be released soon (1-4 months usually).
Message 6 of 7
mdpeterman
Aspirant

Have there been anymore updates on this issue? I have WNDAP360s with the WMS5316 and all of our Apple Laptops (mostly MacBook Airs, but 1 MacBook Pro) have this issue. The macs show connected to WiFi, but they loose their routing table every so often. The only solution is turn off WiFi and turn it on. We invested a lot in this setup and it has been frustrating.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements