× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WNDAP660 Connectivity Issues

esaym
Aspirant

@DavidTunstall

SNMP and POE support is standard. You can have a different vlan tag for each interface. But if you wanted to have two different ssids both with different vlan tags but both on the same interface, you would have to go to the wireless interface menu, and then select "Add New" and under type you would want "Virtual". Or from the command line, something like:

"interface wireless add mode=ap-bridge master-interface=wlan1 vlan-id=1 ssid=guest security-profile=profile1"

If you do go the mikrotik route, and you are not too good with linux networking, you'll probably want to take a back up of the initial config first. Messing with firewall rules and setting IPs, you'll probably end up losing connectivity to it over IP. But the windows config tool "winbox" or something like that can connect to it via mac address so you shouldn't be able to completely brick it and lock yourself out (speaking from experience Smiley Very Happy )

So far my only complaint is that the WMM power save stuff isn't as good as most other consumer grade stuff. Usually my cell phone only looses about 2% battery charge over night. Now it is loosing about 10%. But I can live with it.

Message 26 of 38
DavidTunstall
Aspirant

Esaym,

Many thanks. I found a few reviews for the mikrotik and they were very complimentary saying it's great for Apple devices, never locks up, basically a solid device. Obviously if I knew this before I would definitely have bought the Microtik but right now I have a solution that works. I dont have the user load that requires me to have the AMPDU set and the device has actually been stable for weeks on end. So I'm not happy that I paid £200 for a an 802.11g WAP but it works and I am using some of the enterprise features. Right now I cannot see why anyone would buy the new WAC series like the WAC510 when there are users like us with an issue with wireless that has been oustanding for years. They must be using the same microcode. Anyway thanks for your help in diagnosing my problem. Let's hope Netgear inject some resources into clearing down the issues with the WNDAP660 to lift their brand.

Regards

David

Message 27 of 38
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Dear All

We have made potential fix for this kind of issue. Could you please reach us https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx to get the patch image?

Thanks

Raghu

Message 28 of 38
Durga
NETGEAR Expert

We have a fix for this issue in the recent firmware that hasn't been released to the wider community yet. We appreciate you testing this firmware and let us know if your wireless issue fixed. Our support moderators will be in touch with you and release the firmware. The public availability of this release will be in April, until which time you should use the private image from our support team. 

Message 29 of 38
zappullae
Aspirant

I have installed the new firmware.  Can we get an idea of what was changed?

Message 30 of 38
Durga
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Zappullae,

We are hitting a corner case where the packets are stuck in the firmware. This will happen with some smart phones (especially recent ones) and specific applications running on them coupled with bad RF environment and high channel utilization. We made minor changes in the software to handle this particular condition. 

Has the new firmware fixed your problem? 

Thanks,

Durga.

Message 31 of 38
zappullae
Aspirant

It takes a time to know if it works. So far so good. We'll know in about 2 weeks to a month.

Message 32 of 38
zappullae
Aspirant

So far it hasn't hung up but its unsuablly slow.  The propgress bar on FireFox (Samsung tablet) get to the place where it used to hang and pauses.  Then 75% of the way and pauses.  An Amozon product page takes forever to open.  Unusable.

Message 33 of 38
zappullae
Aspirant

Well now it looks like I spoke too soon.  The WAP had been slowing down and now its hung up.  I'm done with this POS.

Message 34 of 38
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi zappullae,

Are you seeing the same exact propblem what you used to see earlier? Is it possble to have remote session with your setup to understand more of your case?

Thanks

Raghu

Message 35 of 38
zappullae
Aspirant

Similar,  Its slower all the time.  Before the patch it was faster until it hung up now its slower and takes longer to hang.    One thing I can saw is as I have reported here in the past I bought this "high end" WAP because my NETGEAR WNDR3700 huing up and I had to keep rebooting it the same way the 660 does.  I appretiate your offer of help bit its not possible to do a remote session because I've been messing with this for over a year and I'm done with it.  Time to buy a WAP that works.

Message 36 of 38
zappullae
Aspirant

And it just hung up again.  The fix made it worse.  I took it down.  Terrible device.

Message 37 of 38
zappullae
Aspirant

So since the firmware upgrade and a factory reset this has been working.

Message 38 of 38
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 37 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements