Aspirant

Where to get WN604 firmware image for use over TFTP "Upgrade Mode"

Hello, I would like to know where I get a firmware image for the WN604 that can be applied by TFTP upgrade mode. The firmware ZIP on the download page is the incorrect format for this method of application.

To be clear, I mean the mode that is accessed by powering on with RESET applied and held until the "Upgrade Mode" prompt appears on the serial console. I mean an image I can then upload from a connected computer like this:

$ tftp 192.168.1.1
tftp> binary
tftp> put wn604_firmware.bin

If there is a method to take the ZIP, the TAR embedded within the ZIP, or the files embedded within the TAR and convert them into an image file format suitable for uploading using the above method then that would be fine. Otherwise a download source for the pre-prepared image.

Please don't suggest I use the web interface because the device does not have a functioning firmware. I do know the device works and gets into unpdate mode becuase I have attached a serial terminal console to it. I know how to tftp; I just need an appropriately formatted firmware file.

Thanks.

Model: WN604|Wireless-N Access Point
Message 1 of 8
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Where to get WN604 firmware image for use over TFTP "Upgrade Mode"

Hi starfry,

May I know if the UI is not accessible that is why you are upgrading it via console? We are using the same firmware zip even on tftp server. 

Welcome to our community!

Regards,

Message 2 of 8
Aspirant

Hello yes the UI is not accessible. When I try to upload a ZIP using the upgrade mode tftp it says the zip is the incorrect format. I also tried to extract the tar from inside the zip and upload that. Same outcome. I know the upload mode works because I can see it the console.

I expect there is an image format (usually ending .img or .bin) required for this purpose ?

Message 3 of 8
NETGEAR Moderator

@starfry,

Most likely the firmware for access points have .tar files. May I know what is your recent firmware version? Was this connected before from a wireless controller?

Regards,

Message 4 of 8
Aspirant

Yes the last firmware installed was 3.3.7 which I applied via the web interface. Since then it has had openwrt put on it. I would like the opportinity, to restire the netgear firmware using the tftp interface but that accepts neither zip nor tar. Hence the reason for the question.

I am not sure what you mean by a "wireless controller". If you mean has it been connected over wi-fi then yes, over etherner, yes. But in the conext of my question the console is connected over serial from the uart header on the pcb.

Message 5 of 8
NETGEAR Moderator

@starfry,

Wireless controller is the one who manages your AP so that you may have a seamless wifi connection. Firmware 3.3.7 is the latest version. You may try resetting the AP to factory default then try connecting a PC to the LAN port and check if you will still be able to access the GUI.

Regards,

Message 6 of 8
Aspirant

Hi JohnCarloV,

Resetting the AP to factory default is not an option for me because the device doesn't have netgear firmware on it.

I wondered if I could get an image that I can flash using the tftp method whilst connected to the device's UART (i.e. a serial cable connected to the UART header on the circult board) ?

As I said in my first post, this method does not seem to accept a zip or tar file. I have used the UART method in the past to flash unofficial firmware but I wondered if I could get an official image that would work over tftp. If I could then that would be great.

Many thanks.

Message 7 of 8
NETGEAR Moderator

@starfry,

If that would be the case, I suggest you to open a chat / case online on NETGEAR support and please let them know the status of the AP.

Regards,

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements