× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Wi-fi to Ethernet adatpter

aminthab
Aspirant

Wi-fi to Ethernet adatpter

My Current system has to be connected to four different control panels which has only Ethernet port ( no-wifi).

Do Netgear has any options to connect those 4 panels wireless with some Wireless to ethernet converters which can be installed at all four location of control panels.?

Structure is : Main system to a Switch, one wireless router will be connected to the switch, and four wi-fi to ethernet converters will be used to connect to all control panels, is it possible.?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Wi-fi to Ethernet adatpter

Hi aminthab,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Are the control panels that you are referring to are the same as computers? 

Here is the network setup that I suggest:  

From the network diagram above, the ports connecting the firewall router and the 1st GS110TP will be configured as tagged ports so that it will become a trunk link.  The ports connecting the 1st GS110TP to the 1st WAC730 will be configured as tagged ports as well.  Tagging the ports is needed in order to identify which VLAN the packet belongs to.  The firewall router that you will use should support VLANs .  The purpose of having VLANs is to segregate networks.  As an example, two VLANs are configured on the firewall router and the 1st GS110TP namely: Private VLAN and Guest VLAN.  

Point-to-Point Wireless Bridging should be configured to connect the 1st and 2nd WAC730.  The ports connecting the 2nd WAC730 to the 2nd GS110TP will be configured as tagged ports.  Also, both the Private VLAN and Guest VLAN should be configured on the 2nd GS110TP. 

I recommend the GS110TP smart switch because it supports VLAN and PoE (Power over Ethernet) so that you can power on the WAC730 access point via the ethernet port . To know more about the specifications of the GS110TP, check its data sheet here.

I recommend the WAC730 access point because it supports VLAN wherein you could assign a wireless network for the Private network as well as for the Guest network that are broadcast at the same time.  Also, the WAC730 supports wireless bridging.  To know more about the specifications of the WAC730, check its data sheet here.  

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi aminthab,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Are the control panels that you are referring to are the same as computers? 

Here is the network setup that I suggest:  

From the network diagram above, the ports connecting the firewall router and the 1st GS110TP will be configured as tagged ports so that it will become a trunk link.  The ports connecting the 1st GS110TP to the 1st WAC730 will be configured as tagged ports as well.  Tagging the ports is needed in order to identify which VLAN the packet belongs to.  The firewall router that you will use should support VLANs .  The purpose of having VLANs is to segregate networks.  As an example, two VLANs are configured on the firewall router and the 1st GS110TP namely: Private VLAN and Guest VLAN.  

Point-to-Point Wireless Bridging should be configured to connect the 1st and 2nd WAC730.  The ports connecting the 2nd WAC730 to the 2nd GS110TP will be configured as tagged ports.  Also, both the Private VLAN and Guest VLAN should be configured on the 2nd GS110TP. 

I recommend the GS110TP smart switch because it supports VLAN and PoE (Power over Ethernet) so that you can power on the WAC730 access point via the ethernet port . To know more about the specifications of the GS110TP, check its data sheet here.

I recommend the WAC730 access point because it supports VLAN wherein you could assign a wireless network for the Private network as well as for the Guest network that are broadcast at the same time.  Also, the WAC730 supports wireless bridging.  To know more about the specifications of the WAC730, check its data sheet here.  

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
aminthab
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply. You have alomost answered to my question.

These Control Panels are not computer these are HMI( Human Machine Interface and not Windows operation- ABB Control panels).

Is there a small compact device that can just replace the wired ethernet RJ45 to wireless Ethernet RJ45.

And the requiremnet is not for the internet. It just for the communication of Control Panels with PLC (Programmable Logic Controllers)

Message 3 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@aminthab,

I searched online on what is HMI (Human Machine Interface) and how does it look like.  I found several just like on this link.  

About your concern, you may want to check the NETGEAR Home WiFi Adapters here.  All of them are to be used with USB ports so you might need an ethernet-to-USB port adapter.  Also, as far as I know, the NETGEAR Home WiFi Adapters are compatible with Windows OS and I'm not really sure if these will work with the HMI.  

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 5
sktn77a
Virtuoso

Have you looked at the netgear wnce2001?
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements