× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Wired PC locked out of local network

Anonamemouse
Initiate

Wired PC locked out of local network

I recently bought a WAC510 which is set up as an access point. Everything worked fine until I decided that using the Insight app on my iPad might be handy. Somewhere in the registration process it asked for a local network. Since I had not needed to name one before I just named it HomeNetwork and gave it a password. 

And then something went horribly wrong. I now hardcorely regret installing the insight app. Smiley Mad

A few days later I needed access to a file on my Synology NAS from my main desktop PC, and discovered I can no longer access my local network: NAS, streamer, TV are all inaccessible. I cannot even ping any of them, but I can ping the WAC510. I can also access the WAC510 from the PC.

I do have Internet access from the PC, so it looks like the PC got blocked from everything else on the local network.

I DO have access to the NAS, streamer and the tv from my iPad. 

The set up: Modem/router from my local internet provider

port 1: Netgear GS105Ev2 switch, wich connects TV, streamer, NAS

Port 2: WAC510, cable connected to yellow WAN port which connects iPad, phones

Port 3: Desktop PC

Port 4: alarm system

Fixed IP: NAS, streamer, WAC510

I have tried everything I could think of: turn everything off completely and start up starting from the modem/router, factory reset, all firmware is up to date, I am at a loss... 

I saw that in the app there is an option to delete the network, but by now am scared to try this. I really need access to my NAS from my PC. I really don't need a massively secure network. I just want to turn on the PC and do my thing.

What I would like is to go back to the situation BEFORE I started using the Insight app. I already removed the WAC510 from it, as it only has limited capabilities compared to the browser app. 

Help... 

Model: WAC510|Insight Managed Smart Cloud Wireless Access Point
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Wired PC locked out of local network

With this set-up there is absolutely nothing the Insight Management can make to stop the Gigabit Ethernet/GS105Ev2 connected PC accessing the very same switched network and the TV, the Syno NAS, ....

One thing which is probably lost in the description is a connection from the GS105Ev2 switch to your ISP router LAN port - can you confirm?

Double check there is nothing configured on the other network port (LAN) on the WAC510 - unless i'm wrong that port can't be used in AP mode.

Ref. the Insight App data entered:

1. The name "HomeNetwork" is for the Insight platform only, so you can identify and manage that network (Insight does allow the configuration of multiple Networks [or Sites as the Insight Web portal does name the same].

2. The password is the standard password deployed to all Insight manageable devices. With your  WAC510 being the only Insight manageable device, this password is deployed only to the WAC510.

Not a single problem visible which might be related to the Insight App - there must be another problem...

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

With this set-up there is absolutely nothing the Insight Management can make to stop the Gigabit Ethernet/GS105Ev2 connected PC accessing the very same switched network and the TV, the Syno NAS, ....

One thing which is probably lost in the description is a connection from the GS105Ev2 switch to your ISP router LAN port - can you confirm?

Double check there is nothing configured on the other network port (LAN) on the WAC510 - unless i'm wrong that port can't be used in AP mode.

Ref. the Insight App data entered:

1. The name "HomeNetwork" is for the Insight platform only, so you can identify and manage that network (Insight does allow the configuration of multiple Networks [or Sites as the Insight Web portal does name the same].

2. The password is the standard password deployed to all Insight manageable devices. With your  WAC510 being the only Insight manageable device, this password is deployed only to the WAC510.

Not a single problem visible which might be related to the Insight App - there must be another problem...

Message 2 of 3
Anonamemouse
Initiate

Somehow the issue is resolved.

I have reset the switch, the WAC510 and the modem all to factory settings, provided them all with a new password, deleted the network shares from my pc (again), reconnected the shares, and now it suddenly works. I have no clue what the issue was in the end, but I am happy I can get to my files again.

I have removed the app from my iPad. 

schumaku, thank you very much for the help!

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements