× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: Wireless router recommendation for small business

akwin
Aspirant

Wireless router recommendation for small business

Hi,

I am setting up a server, five workstations, and two wi-fi connected laptops in a small business. What switch/wi-fi router combo would you recommend? I also want the ability to set up a guest wi-fi network in the future. Most important features required for the switch/wi-fi router are security and simplicity in set-up. I bought several Netgear consumer routers before. Should I just use a nighthawk or some combination of prosafe products?

Thanks,

Alan

Model: WAC730|3x3 Wireless-AC Access Points
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Alan, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks,

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello akwin, 

Welcome to the community! 

A Nighthawk router along with a gigabit switch should do the job, it can definitely fill the needs of your small network. It also has a guest network setting and very easy to setup. If you think that the network will be bigger, you may also consider getting a ProSafe Firewall and Access Point. They are more secure and has features like VPN that you can use to manage your network remotely. 

Thanks,

Message 2 of 5
akwin
Aspirant

John,

Thanks for the reply.

Should I choose unmanaged or managed switch?

How would I connect the switches and router? I assume I would connect the switch to modem and connect Nighthawk to gigabit switch.

Alan

Message 3 of 5
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Alan, 

If you plan to have VLANs in the future, I would suggest a manageable or smart switch (But be aware that the router also needs to support VLAN for routing purposes). The setup will be, Modem>Router/Firewall>Switch(es)>Clients

Thanks, 

Message 4 of 5
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Alan, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks,

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements