× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

frequent disconnects

Coffee-man
Aspirant

frequent disconnects

Hello and thank you for your help! 

I have two R7000 rounters connected to the same modem. I have created two different networks, becouse I want some of the devices to be on its own network and seporated from other devices - it's accualy required for my POS to be on a sepporate network. But, experiance a multilpe crashes throut the day on both networks. When I was setting second router up, I received the warning that problems might accure. What should I do to prevent those disconets? 

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router, R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: frequent disconnects

Using a passthrough-network cascading - not the ideal solution of course.

Introduce a router able to handle two or more networks, on tagged VLAN or untagged dedicated VLAN ports, which can do the NATing accordingly onto one public IP. Something like a Netgear BR200 with dedicated unmanaged switches or switches allowing to configure multiple VLANs, like the Smart Managed Plus units. The R7000/R7000P can be given a second life (I hope) as wireless access points.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Does your ISP support connecting more than one device to the modem? Most ISP offer only one public IP address on consumer and SOHO service levels.

Message 2 of 7
Coffee-man
Aspirant

I’m pretty sure it doesn’t. So what should I do if I want to have multiple networks?
Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Using a passthrough-network cascading - not the ideal solution of course.

Introduce a router able to handle two or more networks, on tagged VLAN or untagged dedicated VLAN ports, which can do the NATing accordingly onto one public IP. Something like a Netgear BR200 with dedicated unmanaged switches or switches allowing to configure multiple VLANs, like the Smart Managed Plus units. The R7000/R7000P can be given a second life (I hope) as wireless access points.

Message 4 of 7
Coffee-man
Aspirant

Is there any chance that connecting one R7000 to another R7000 will work? I don’t have much going on in the shop. One router needs to handle POS, other is for a bunch of ipads and smart home devices, and one more for customers WIFi.
Message 5 of 7
schumaku
Guru

That would be the cascade - however for your PoS systems (credit card processing I guess) there is pass-though traffic for the other - so either the PoS traffic on the inner network does flow through the outer network, or the guest network on the inner does go thourgh the PoS network. Both solutions are probably not what a PoS validation would accept.

Message 6 of 7
Coffee-man
Aspirant

Thank you! I attempted cascade, and everything seem to be working, but now my POS router is just a part of the rest of the network and is connected to all of the devices on my network - so I'm worried about the security. 

Let's say I got BR200 - is that something a sami tech savy user be able to configure, or would it require me hiring a professional anyway? 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements