Highlighted
Initiate

login to WAC 124 WITHOUT netgear account

I recently bought a WAC 124 as an extra eacces point.
Now it appears you can only access the settings when you have a netgear account.
This strikes me odd. It is in MY network, not in Netgear network. From within my network I don't want devices calling home.

Is there a way to disable this and setup access without a netgear-calling-home-account?
If there is not this is a future reason to NOT buy netgear devices anymore. 

"Calling home" devices are not considered safe and secure. This is is considered an intrusion.

I realy hope this can be diabled as I do like netgear quality. I don't like intruders.

Model: WAC124|AC2000 Dual Band 4x4
Message 1 of 5
Highlighted
Guru

Re: login to WAC 124 WITHOUT netgear account

@RaghuHR ... I never understood the issues even well informed IT people have with this basic WAP.

Message 2 of 5
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

@pieterg,

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy 

If you are connected to the Internet, you will need to have a NETGEAR account in order to access the web-GUI of the WAC124.  Otherwise, if you are not connected to the Internet, you can use the default credentials (the username is "admin" and the password is "password" without the quotation marks) to login to the web-GUI of the WAC124.  I regret to inform you that there is no option to disable this.  For more information, kindly read page 18 of the WAC124 user manual here about the credentials that you must enter to access the local browser interface.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
Tutor

Is there any hope for a future update that will let us disable the SSO if we want? I have not been able to administer my WAC124 For a long time. Local login with it disconnected from the Internet worked one time and not since. Dumping the cash on my devices doesn't help. I am very unhappy with this product purely due to the SSO. I just ordered a Linksys.....

Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
Initiate

The absolute need for an online subscription in order to edit the access points settings is inadmissible.
If this becomes a Netgear policy on all their products. Netgear products will be black listed and no longer purchased.

It is very undesireable that a third party forces "security" of their own on their customers.
You may offer but not force.
This product will be disconnected from our network soon as a replacing product arrives.
We have now blocked access to the outside through the router.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements