× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: login to WAC 124 WITHOUT netgear account

pieterg
Initiate

login to WAC 124 WITHOUT netgear account

I recently bought a WAC 124 as an extra eacces point.
Now it appears you can only access the settings when you have a netgear account.
This strikes me odd. It is in MY network, not in Netgear network. From within my network I don't want devices calling home.

Is there a way to disable this and setup access without a netgear-calling-home-account?
If there is not this is a future reason to NOT buy netgear devices anymore. 

"Calling home" devices are not considered safe and secure. This is is considered an intrusion.

I realy hope this can be diabled as I do like netgear quality. I don't like intruders.

Model: WAC124|AC2000 Dual Band 4x4
Message 1 of 15
schumaku
Guru

@RaghuHR ... I never understood the issues even well informed IT people have with this basic WAP.

Message 2 of 15
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@pieterg,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

If you are connected to the Internet, you will need to have a NETGEAR account in order to access the web-GUI of the WAC124.  Otherwise, if you are not connected to the Internet, you can use the default credentials (the username is "admin" and the password is "password" without the quotation marks) to login to the web-GUI of the WAC124.  I regret to inform you that there is no option to disable this.  For more information, kindly read page 18 of the WAC124 user manual here about the credentials that you must enter to access the local browser interface.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 15
Pjpj
Tutor

Is there any hope for a future update that will let us disable the SSO if we want? I have not been able to administer my WAC124 For a long time. Local login with it disconnected from the Internet worked one time and not since. Dumping the cash on my devices doesn't help. I am very unhappy with this product purely due to the SSO. I just ordered a Linksys.....

Message 4 of 15
pieterg
Initiate

The absolute need for an online subscription in order to edit the access points settings is inadmissible.
If this becomes a Netgear policy on all their products. Netgear products will be black listed and no longer purchased.

It is very undesireable that a third party forces "security" of their own on their customers.
You may offer but not force.
This product will be disconnected from our network soon as a replacing product arrives.
We have now blocked access to the outside through the router.

Message 5 of 15
Dracurf
Initiate

Hello,

@DaneA 

Really ?

If you are connected to the Internet, you will need to have a NETGEAR account in order to access the web-GUI of the WAC124.  Otherwise, if you are not connected to the Internet, you can use the default credentials (the username is "admin" and the password is "password" without the quotation marks) to login to the web-GUI of the WAC124.  I regret to inform you that there is no option to disable this.  For more information, kindly read page 18 of the WAC124 user manual here about the credentials that you must enter to access the local browser interface.  

I just baught this acces point and I had to block network traffic from it on my firewall to use the local account.

I think to bring back this acces point to the shop and get me reimbursed.

Please kindly upgrage the firmware to block the login option with settings ? 🙂

Many Thanks.

Rgds,

Guilaume

Message 6 of 15
Mk178
Initiate

Totally agree with previous comments! This must be an option not the only way to log in Smiley Frustrated

Message 7 of 15
kas1kas
Initiate

Accessing the WAC124 is impossible without a Netgear account and actually logging in to their system first.

This is absolutely ridiculous. I just want to enter the local IP address and login as admin. 

Unfortunately I was not aware of this bizarre way of working before I bought this device. If this policy is not changed this will be my last Netgear product. And looking at the complaints before me, they don't seem to have any plans to change their policy.

Yes, they answer that you can, but you have to disable the internet! Why should I disable the internet and upset other users in my house to login to my router/AP?

YOU ARE WARNED!!!

Do not get this product!!!

Message 8 of 15
focaldepth
Initiate

Has anybody done a network trace to figure out wight address/port to block to kill this evil and ridiculous login BUG/FEATURE/SPYWARE?

Message 9 of 15
Snickerf
Initiate

It seems odd that the sign-in page no longer even works from within the router.  Whether or not I have a login, it won't "call home" - it says the page is reset.  Thankfully, I have 30 days to return the device, but this seems like a sure way to destroy their credibility for future purchases.

Message 10 of 15
ChrisGG
Initiate

I cant believe this is not configurable, if this is a direction Netgear is going I am changing Home networking equipement. Fix it and fix it fast and dont clone the mechanism without choice .

Message 11 of 15
cattymaloudy
Aspirant

I cant believe this is not configurable, if this is a direction Netgear is going I am changing Home networking equipement. Fix it and fix it fast and dont clone the mechanism without choice .<top> 

Message 12 of 15
schumaku
Guru

(mark)

Message 13 of 15
finchl
Aspirant

Geez, was just about to buy the WAC124 then read comments about having to subscribe to make changes (according the Amazon for AC3000)  Ridiculous that you have to have an online account to access the settings when connected to internet.

Bye-Bye, will go back to TP-Link and look for a suitable router.

Lee

Message 14 of 15
network-wonk
Guide

Bit late I know, but if you're still interested in a hack, see the last post in https://community.netgear.com/t5/Business-Wireless/How-to-disable-SSO-login/td-p/1909588

-- NW

Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 44 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements