× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

routerlogin.net page rendering blank

mspeculatrix
Guide

routerlogin.net page rendering blank

I'm trying to set up a WAC564 that I haven't used in a while. I've factory reset it (more than once). Its access point (NETGEARxxx-SETUP) appears okay and I can connect to that. But when I go to www.routerlogin.net, I just get a blank page. The page is actually downloaded – I can see the code in developer tools in the browser, but it renders as a blank page.

I've tried this on my iPhone (Safari and Firefox), iPad (same browsers) and my MacBook (Firefox, Chrome, Safari and Vivaldi) all with the same result.

Any odeas how to make this invisible page visible?

Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: routerlogin.net page rendering blank

Have you tried on a windows pc? 

Also, make sure on the mac/iphone that icloud relay and private mac/ip address are disabled. 

Message 2 of 10
mspeculatrix
Guide

I tried Edge in a Win11 VM. Same result. It's not a routing problem because I am getting the page code. It's just not rendering correctly.

I should add that, if I leave the blank white page loaded, after a while I get a message about some kind of time-out and the page reloads – I think to some kind of login. But it's still just blank, so hard to tell.

Message 3 of 10
mspeculatrix
Guide

Okay, this is weird. Still getting a blank page at www.routerlogin.net. By if I go to 192.168.0.100 I get a login page. Trouble is, I've no idea what the password is.

I've done a reset three times now - getting the rapidly flashing amber light each time. Shouldn't that have cleared the password and reset to 'never been used' mode?

Message 4 of 10
plemans
Guru

what happens if you use the IP address?

Message 5 of 10
mspeculatrix
Guide

As I mentioned in my last message, if I use 192.168.0.100 I arrive at a login page. But I have no idea what password to use.

I’ve now done a ‘factory’ reset half a dozen times, but it’s clearly not resetting to factory defaults in that I’m not getting the Day Zero landing page.

When I first used this device, which was some time ago, I used Insight to help configure it. But when my free period ended I closed the Insight account as I dislike being tied in subscriptions like that and Insight offered me no benefits that I thought were worth paying for. But I wonder if this is somehow linked to the device’s unwillingness to completely reset.

Message 6 of 10
plemans
Guru

when you're trying the default password info, are you making sure its all lower case? and no spaces? And all password managers disabled (I've seen them over write data)

default login: admin

default password: password

Message 7 of 10
mspeculatrix
Guide

The thing is, it's not the default password. For whatever reason, this device is not resetting to defaults.

In the end I got it sorted. I connected to it over Ethernet - not directly, but across the network. I'm not entirely sure what's going on, but while the box rejected every password I threw at it while I was connecting over wifi, once I'd put it on the network, it accepted the password that I usually give my routers. In other words, it has retained the config, including the password, from when I last used it, at least a year ago. That's in spite of very many so-called 'factory' resets. (So many, that I now have a bent paper clip taped to the back of the device.)

Once in, I did indeed find that it was confgured for management via Insight. I quickly changed that. I've no idea why it wouldn't do a full reset. And I'm still not sure of the sequence of events that finally gave me access. But it was certainly more by luck than judgment. That's why I don't consider this 'solved', because I'm not sure I could repeat it.

Message 8 of 10
plemans
Guru

Not sure why it didn't reset back to defaults either. 

I had a CAX80 that did the same to me and would retain the password I set on it regardless of a push button reset or software reset. L2 support didn't have any answers for me on it either. 

Message 9 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Remember the insight.netgear.com login? Probably the one you use here on the community. With the device not removed from Insight, it might revert to the Insight config, which does include a local management password configured. So head to insight.netgear.com -> Devices and remove the device first.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements