× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

wac104 drops connections and refuses connections

dauvin
Aspirant

wac104 drops connections and refuses connections

We recently bought a wac104 wireless access point to use instead of the one from our ISP.  The 2.4ghz network seems to have no issues, but the 5ghz network (the faster one we bought this device specifically for) always seems to drop connections, and complain about incorrect password, when it has NOT been changed. 

I used a program to see what channels it was using and it is on channels not used by neighbors.  There doesnt seem to be any rhyme or reason to the drops, and as I mentioned earlier, no issues at all so far with the 2.4ghz wifi network.

Signal strenght does not seem to be an issue, its detected by all devices in use at 2 or 3 out of 3 strength.

I followed all the configuration instructions, changed the default password, renamed the device to something random, disabled the wifi functionality of the ISP router, checked for firmware updates (there werent any) and checked the logs to see if anyones 'hacked' in to change stuff; they havent, and SOME devices are staying connected and working just fine.

We initially had the device in another room (the house is wired with cat5) and the droppages were worse/more frequent, so I've since plugged it DIRECTLY into an ethernet port on the back of the isp router.  Its reduced the number of times the drops/refuseals to connect but it still occurs. 

Other than returning it, I'm kinda at a loss for what to do now, any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
dauvin
Aspirant

Re: wac104 drops connections and refuses connections

well I feel a little sheepish; I checked with roommates and Im only one having this issue, and more specific googling seems to return this is an apple/ios issue (iphone 6) so you can probably go ahead and mark this as resolved.  I guess the initial drops/disconnects when first set up were due to poor wiring in the house which was resolved by moving and plugging the device directly into the router.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
dauvin
Aspirant

Re: wac104 drops connections and refuses connections

well I feel a little sheepish; I checked with roommates and Im only one having this issue, and more specific googling seems to return this is an apple/ios issue (iphone 6) so you can probably go ahead and mark this as resolved.  I guess the initial drops/disconnects when first set up were due to poor wiring in the house which was resolved by moving and plugging the device directly into the router.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements