× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

wac505 - What are differences in different models?

hbwilliams
Aspirant

wac505 - What are differences in different models?

There are two basic models of the WAC505: WAC505-100NAS (USA & Canada), and WAC505-100000S (other countries). What is different between the two models? Can the 100NAS version be used in countries other than the USA and Canada?  

Model: WAB102|802.11a+b Dual Band Wireless Access Point
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: wac505 - What are differences in different models?

@hbwilliams,

My apologies, but we didn't receive any announcement or news about the new firmware update or hardware version. The next firmware release is based on the beta version, so if NETGEAR produced the beta with the WPA3 then it might come out on the new firmware release. But still, no WPA3 on beta 🙂

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi hbwilliams,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

The difference with the NAS and other countries is the power adapter included in the package. Yes, you may still use the 100NAS to other countries, but you may need to have an adapter that fits to their socket or power requirement.

Regards,

Message 2 of 6
hbwilliams
Aspirant

I'm sorry, but a power adapter was not included on my purchase - as clearly documented on the box signage. Further, the absence of a power adapter is appropriate given that the device has POE. Accordingly, there is no rationale that either product model number is influenced by an unnecessary power adapter. The only logical reason for two different model numbers appears to be that the internal specs must differ in some way for the two similar access point models. 

So, please specify the internal differences between the two models. If there are no internal differences, then why are there two different model numbers? 

Message 3 of 6
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@hbwilliams,

I apologize for overlooking that your device was a POE. As I double check, here is the package content.

There are no internal differences between these models. As I was saying, the model numbers pertains to the power adapter included(just in case there is) depends on the region. Here is an example for your WAC505 based on the datasheet.

Just let me know if this would suffice.

Regards,

Message 4 of 6
hbwilliams
Aspirant

Thanks. It seemed a bit confusing to me. Seems there should be just one model number and leave optional AC adapters out of the model number. Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

Do you know if WPA3 will be a firmware update later this year, or whether a hardware change will be needed to implement that? 

Message 5 of 6
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@hbwilliams,

My apologies, but we didn't receive any announcement or news about the new firmware update or hardware version. The next firmware release is based on the beta version, so if NETGEAR produced the beta with the WPA3 then it might come out on the new firmware release. But still, no WPA3 on beta 🙂

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements