× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: wc7500 wireless controller will not load 6.5.5.18

beezer
Apprentice

wc7500 wireless controller will not load 6.5.5.18

I cannot load the latest software. It simply reboots to the 6.5.5.0, with the only visible change that the firmware upgrade is "In Progress" (but I told it to update immediately).

Also, I notice that the time it thinks is "now" is GMT, not local time...

Has anyone done the upgrade?

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
beezer
Apprentice

I told it I was in England (GMT) and I got it to update.

Sadly, this is the solution.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@beezer,

I believe the v6.5.5.0 is the active partition.  Let us try this.  Update the backup partition to v6.5.5.18 then boot the WC7500 using the backup partition.  Be sure to follow the upgrade matrix. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 7
beezer
Apprentice

Of course, that is precisely what I am doing. I set it up to update the backup partition and then boot from it. I also tried this in two steps. Same result: It will not load the second partition; it always shows the partition is "Empty" and the update "In Progress" and the time is in the wrong time zone.

Message 3 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@beezer,

Let us try this.  During non-production hours, reboot the WC7500.  After reboot, try to upgrade the firmware again from v6.5.5.0 to the latest v6.5.5.18. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 7
beezer
Apprentice

An "interesting" result. I rebooted the WC7500 and it did not come back for 28 minutes. As I was waiting on hold to talk to pro support for another RMA, it came back and showed that the 2nd partition had 6.5.5.18 (It has said "empty" since I told it to update *last week* until today). However, the "scheduled upgrade status" still says it is going to update tomorrow at 00:26:01.

Message 5 of 7
beezer
Apprentice

Additional info: So, I cancelled the "future" upgrade and told it to reboot from partition 2. After telling me it is rebooting, it comes back *STILL* running partition 1 (6.5.5.0) but now says it will upgrade tomorrow at 00.42.07, and partition 1 is still showing as the boot-from partition.

This UI isn't just badly documented and dysfunctional. It is also woefully misleading.

My guess is that it *will* reboot at some point, that it *probably* loaded the 6.5.5.18 firmware last week, and that it has serious bugs in the clock handling routines.

Message 6 of 7
beezer
Apprentice

I told it I was in England (GMT) and I got it to update.

Sadly, this is the solution.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements