The Arlo Community

Learn, explore, ask questions, and connect with our community of customers and experts.

Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Top Contributors
Caught on Arlo Video Contest
Share Video

Share Your Video!
Caught something cool on Arlo? Share it with the Arlo Community.

Post a video
Unanswered Questions
No posts to display.
Follower

How many cameras can one base station handle?

Hi all I am trying to work out how many devices one base station can handle. Ie my current need is for 2 cameras but what if I want to extend that later? Are all base stations the same and the only difference between each "kit" is the number of Cameras it is supplied with or if I want 4 cameras can I buy a 2 camera plus base station now and add 2 cameras later or do I buy a base station that allows 4 but only by the two cameras?

Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
Guru

Re: How many cameras can one base station handle?

The amount of cameras ONE base can handle is based on your account level...

basic(free) is 5, next is 10 and highest is 15. ( all bases are the same )

But also be aware that one base can only stream/record a max of 5 cams at the same time tho this usu isn't a problem.

BTW, there is no limit on bases, as even with the basic account you can have multi bases to extend your range if needed.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Message 2 of 18

All Replies
Guru

The amount of cameras ONE base can handle is based on your account level...

basic(free) is 5, next is 10 and highest is 15. ( all bases are the same )

But also be aware that one base can only stream/record a max of 5 cams at the same time tho this usu isn't a problem.

BTW, there is no limit on bases, as even with the basic account you can have multi bases to extend your range if needed.

Message 2 of 18
Aspirant

Ok, so based on your last comment, I added another station with another 4 cameras, but it's only letting me see 5 of the cameras. So why can't I get both base stations to show all my cameras in my account?
Message 3 of 18
Prodigy

acoxfcox wrote:
Ok, so based on your last comment, I added another station with another 4 cameras, but it's only letting me see 5 of the cameras. So why can't I get both base stations to show all my cameras in my account?

The number of cameras you can connect on the same account is limited by your subscription plan, not by the number of base stations you use.

So, if you are on the basic subscription plan, the only one which is free, you can only connect up to five cameras on that account, whether you have one, two or five base stations.

You can only connect more than five cameras on free subscription accounts if you create additional accounts and don't exceed the limit of five per account. You'll then need at least one separate base station per account.

Message 4 of 18
Guru

As mentioned... Cameras are the limited factor not the bases.

On a free account you could have 4 bases but still a max of 5 cameras ! 

The max cameras on ONE account is 15... need more than 15 cameras you need two accounts whether paid or free.

Message 5 of 18
Initiate

I have 5 wireless cameras connected to 1 hub. Am I able to add an Arlo Q or would I need to change plans?

Message 6 of 18
Guru

dawz2 wrote:

I have 5 wireless cameras connected to 1 hub. Am I able to add an Arlo Q or would I need to change plans?

In order to add the Q camera to the same base, you need to do one of the following;

1) remove one of the Arlo camerasthen add the Q cam

2) upgrade your service to one that allows more cameras

3) buy the CVR recording option for the Q , then it doesn't count against the 5 total

Message 7 of 18

So what you are saying is that if I buy the Arlo HD Security System with 4 Arlo Wire-Free and 2 Arlo Q Cameras (VMK3500), then one of the six cameras is not going to work?   

Where's the business logic in that?

Likewise, if I buy the Arlo Add-on HD Security Camera 4-Pack (VMC3430) to add to my 3 camera system, then two of the cameras won't work unless I pay an additional monthly fee or set up a second account, which would very inconvenient because you can't have a second APP on your iPad for the second account.  I'd have to constantly log out and renter my new user name and password.   I can't be arsed with that.  It would be simpler to buy a competitor system so I can have two APPs on my iPad.

Message 8 of 18
Guide

You can grant access to the second account
Message 9 of 18

supaflyz wrote:
You can grant access to the second account

Thanks superflyz.  Can you expand on your answer for beginners like me?

Could I use one APP and see 7 cameras?

Message 10 of 18
Prodigy

Like previous posts explained it:

If you have five wirefree Arlo cameras on the Basic plan you can only add Arlo Q cameras on the same account if they are subscribed with the CVT plan.

So, either create a second account with an additional base station for any cameras beyond the five-count maximum per Base plan or upgrade to a (paid) Premier or (paid) Elite plan.

Message 11 of 18
Guru

Didn't know Netgear was into continuously variable transmissions (CVT).  Smiley Tongue  

To use multiple systems in one app, just Grant Access (in Settings) to the other account's email address.  That way all cameras show up in one view even though they're setup in different accounts.

Message 12 of 18
Guide

How is it possible then that Netgear is selling 4 cameras + 2 Arlo Q's and STILL be free for 7 days?  Model number is VMK3500,

Basically, what you folks are saying is that if I already have 5 cameras, I will need to buy a NEW base station (which presumably contains 1 camera) and then attach the Arlo Q to that in order for me to stay on the 7 day free program.  The catch would be that I would have 2 user names for each base station. I suppose this means that I would have to constantly log in/out of my cellphone app since I can't run 2 sessions at the same time?

Message 13 of 18
NETGEAR Moderator

theclutch,

Arlo Q's do not connect to the base station, they connect wirelessly to your router.

The VMK3500 kit is a special kit that allows 4 Wireless cameras and 2 Q cameras to be viewed using the free Basic plan.

If you already have an account, a new account must be created using the equipment in the VMK3500 kit to allow access to the special plan associated with this kit.

JamesC

Message 14 of 18

I bought a VMK3500 and I'm not able to use the 6th Q camera. It says I must upgrade my accout to use it.

Message 15 of 18
Guru

Did you follow the directions from JamesC just above your post?  Are you in the US (I don't know if other countries are allowed to use this kit on the basic plan)?

Message 16 of 18

Indidneverything as he said. It is the first account I create. It didn't work. I gave up and created another account, for my wife, associated the 6th Arlo Q with it and shared with me. Also shared with her my 5 camera system and now I see the 6 cameras in my app. I find cery lame from Netgear not fixing this, because the solution is so easy. Makes the problem even more annoying. But in my case, I get ehat I want which is seeing the 6 cameras without needing to logi in and out different accounts.
Message 17 of 18
NETGEAR Moderator

ruibelfort,

The special plan for the VMK3500 is not supported outside the US & Canada.

Take a look here for the specifications of this kit: Arlo HD Security System with 4 Arlo Wire-Free and 2 Arlo Q Cameras (VMK3500)

JamesC

Message 18 of 18