Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1900 Wifi Cable Modem Router C7000v2 question...

Quaz1m0d0
Tutor

AC1900 Wifi Cable Modem Router C7000v2 question...

In December 2020, I purchased the C7000v2 for my internet w/ Xfinity because my old modem/router combo went out on me.

With the modem listed above, and my lack of knowledge when it comes to internet/computer stuff, I decided to upgrade our internet package because WHY NOT??? (well, we have 15 devices connected to wifi and a gaming pc connected via ethernet...so that's justified, right?)

Little did I know, when I upgraded to gig speed ethernet with Xfinity, that the C7000v2 would no longer be compatible with the speeds Xfinity was trying to push through. (I found this out the hard way, as I am a gaming streamer on various social networks and my upload speed went from between 15-17 to 4-5 a few weeks after upgrading the internet....therefore streaming is borderline impossible.)

MY QUESTION IS....

If I purchased the Nighthawk Docsis 3.1 Cable Modem CM1200, could I connect my C7000v2 to the CM1200 and use the C7000v2 for wifi, while using the CM1200 for my pc and get the full upload speeds I'm paying for?

Model: C7000-1AZNAS|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: AC1900 Wifi Cable Modem Router C7000v2 question...

The C7000 can be forced to work as an access point but not as a router only. 

You'd need a router to connect to the cm1200 as its a modem only model. 

I usually recommend avoiding the cm1200 with xfinity. You pay extra for 4 ports but if your on a consumer line from xfinity, only one device can be connected to it. So its a bit pointless. The cm1100 has 2x ports for if you're wanting wan port aggregation (still only 1 device). Or if you just want 1 gig connection, the cm1000. 

Have you checked with xfinity about provisioning it for 600mbps service? 

Message 2 of 7
Quaz1m0d0
Tutor

@plemans to your comment about only 1 device can be connected....I currently have my pc and my buddy's xbox one connected via ethernet, would that no longer be possible if I change anything? Like I said, I am a newbie when it comes to this technology, I'm only able to do half of what I do thanks to YT 😕

And about going to 600mbps, I primarily upgraded to gig speed because of the "unlimited devices getting top speed over wifi" conditions...600mbps only allows 12 before it feels like dial up. And most if not all my devices get used together. 

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

The C7000 is a modem router combo device. So you can connect more than 1 device. 

The CM1200 is a modem only device. You need a router connected to it.

And the C7000 doesn't have a router only mode. Its either a modem/router combo device, a modem only, or it can act as an access point (through some settings changes). 

most gaming/streaming only required 20-40mbps each even if 4k. 1080P is less than that. 

if you're bogging down with 10-12 devices, its probably not an ISP bandwidth issue.

I've got around 50 devices on my network with 30+ of them wireless. But my high bandwidth devices (4k tv's) are all hardwired in. 

Gaming devices should be hardwired in if possible too. 

What are all the devices your using? 

Did you try hardwiring in any of the devices. 

Message 4 of 7
Quaz1m0d0
Tutor

The only hardwired devices I have are my PC and XB1. Everything else is either phones, streaming devices, kindles, and laptops. Nothing was actually getting bogged down, I was just taking a safe approach (hence the not-being-smart w/ technology comment). When I upgraded, I was still paying the same price regardless of getting gig speed or 600mbps. That's why I went for the bigger option.

If I use the the C7000 as an access point, can I then use the CM1200 (with it having 4 lan ports) as a hardwired connection for my PC and XB1 after changing settings on the C7000 so that can be used for my wifi connected stuff? Or am I just just going in circles with your suggestions? I don't want to sound like I'm ignoring your replies...just trying to see about covering all options before I start purchasing stuff and then finding out it doesn't work...

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

If I use the the C7000 as an access point, can I then use the CM1200 (with it having 4 lan ports) as a hardwired connection for my PC and XB1 after changing settings on the C7000 so that can be used for my wifi connected stuff? Or am I just just going in circles with your suggestions? I don't want to sound like I'm ignoring your replies...just trying to see about covering all options before I start purchasing stuff and then finding out it doesn't work...

No you can't. The C7000 is a combo device. If you're not using the modem side of it, the c7000 as an access point wouldn't have routing capabilities. And the CM1200 isn't a router so it doesn't have them. . 

Message 6 of 7
Quaz1m0d0
Tutor

Ok awesome, thanks for the assistance!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7