Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC3200 C7800 security

T-sluder
Aspirant

AC3200 C7800 security

With in the last 3 weeks I have had my credit card stolen online twice. I did change some security settings but I am still learning about all this tech stuff. Wondering if I did something to cause this. Please offer advice as to what i should have settings on in admin. 

Thanks 

T. Sluder

Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
T-sluder
Aspirant

Re: AC3200 C7800 security

Thats the current setting. I just wanted to make sure it wasnt the other one. Thanks for your help!

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi With Cable Modem products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi with cable modem and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/bd-p/en-home-orbi-cable

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

Message 2 of 9
T-sluder
Aspirant

Im sorry maybe I wasnt clear, I own a Nighthawk wifi router/modem X4S AC3200 model C7800. Im looking for advice for security settings due to having my credit card info recently compromised twice this month. Im very cautious as to where I purchase and only two companies have this last card on file. One an online pharmacy the other xfinity. Not sure if there is a weak spot in my security settings or something else. Trying to narrow it down as well as cover any weaknesses in my settings. Any advice would help!

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/bd-p/en-home-orbi-cable

This forum is for NightHawk WiFi 6 MESH systems. 

Thank you. 

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

You would need to contact your Card Company for help and information regarding CC theft. I would first look at sites were you used the CC and have the Card Company review there processes. Be sure your using a good updated web browser. 

Make sure your browser connections to these web sties are secure by looking at the address bar. You should see a pad lock and HTTPS in the address bar. This means the connection and web page is secure. 

Ensure your Wifi SSID name and PW is using WPA2 and AES on the modem. 

Not much else you can do from the modems configuration to secure things. 

@T-sluder wrote:

With in the last 3 weeks I have had my credit card stolen online twice. I did change some security settings but I am still learning about all this tech stuff. Wondering if I did something to cause this. Please offer advice as to what i should have settings on in admin. 

Thanks 

T. Sluder

Message 5 of 9
T-sluder
Aspirant

Did exactly that with cc. Looked over statement online, nothing unusual. Mostly amazon. Idk. Here's my settings, can you look them over and make sure I'm not overlooking something:

Access Control: Off

Block all new devices: Off (should I enable these two settings even though it requires a password?)

NAT: ON

IP6V: AUTO CONFIGURE

PORT FORWARDING: ON

PORT FORWARDING: ALWAYS

WPA2-PSK (AES)     OR     WPA-PSK (TKIP) + WPA2-PSK (AES)

UPnP: ON

sorry Im new to all this! Huge learning curve!

THANK YOU!

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Only item I would change is wifi security mode to "WPA2-PSK (AES)" only. 

Message 7 of 9
T-sluder
Aspirant

Thats the current setting. I just wanted to make sure it wasnt the other one. Thanks for your help!

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7