Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX2700/CAX30 Spectrum Packet Loss

MarxAV
Guide

AX2700/CAX30 Spectrum Packet Loss

Hello,

I'm looking for some help as of three days ago, I started to notice significant packet loss on my network. I checked the router connections, rebooted and even Factory Reset the Router to confirm there were no obvious issues. I'm getting anywhere from 35-50% packet loss on average via testing and about 35% consistent loss on any online games (Apex, CS:GO, WZ, etc.). 

I called Spectrum and they are very little help as they just hid behind that I have a 3rd party Modem/Router and even when I offered to read out the dBm, MHz levels and Event Logs I was observing and run test for packet loss on the phone with them they refused to troubleshoot much further than restarts and "refresh" signals.  I have 1GB Speed with them using a CAX30S for about 2 months now without any issues and suddenly this is happening, I reviewed traffic as well outbound to make sure none of the devices where just uploading taking up bandwidth and it is not happening. 

What information would you need to help me troubleshoot if you have any ideas? I do see some critical errors on the Event Log but from what I am reading it really points to an issue outside my network on the Specturm's. 

chrome_X0JI7mWPMb.png

chrome_ZbfNVXhHdh.png

chrome_UW8mF8V0cg.png

chrome_7oPyMd5SNB.png

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
MarxAV
Guide

Re: AX2700/CAX30 Spectrum Packet Loss

I called Spectrum again on Sunday  and they agreed to send a Tech out today Tuesday. On Monday 9 AM, there were two Spectrum trucks on my block working on the boxes they have throughout the neighborhood. From what I was able to see they replaced some cables as they were running some and after they left about 10 PM the internet has been stable. I'm no longer getting any packet loss and there was some high wait times on some connections about 150ms but that cleared up as well. Not sure what they did and there was no outage/maintenance scheduled for my area, but it has restored service back to how it was. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What firmware version are you on? 

How are you testing packet loss? 

And do you have a screen snip showing the packet loss testing/route its using? 

Are you testing wired? Wireless? 

Message 2 of 8
MarxAV
Guide

Firmware: 1.4.11.2

Packet Loss being tested via Ping tests to Google, EA, Twitch, etc. these show about 30% loss. I don't believe it's ICMP filtering because all packets would be lost. I've also been using packetlosstest [.] com and the In-Game Packet loss reporter from Apex Legends and CS:GO. 

I've tested both via Wireless and Wired connections and the results are consistently the same. 

NVIDIA_Share_13FT3YgDnB.png

r5apex_GdhSiljVr3.png

NVIDIA_Share_FG2gZth3pP.png

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

But it doesn't show at what point its getting lost. 

Start with the device you're on pinging your router. then move to the next ip address to check it. 

Its easy to see you have packets lost but tougher to see at what point they're getting lost. 

Message 4 of 8
MarxAV
Guide

I started as you suggesting pinging in network and I see packet loss the moment traffic leaves my local network and goes to the ISP next hop Spectrum. I tested two more IPs after and they show packet loss as well but if traffic is following the same route of the Traceroute then it is being dropped at the Spectrum connection. 

Unrelated, from the original screenshots, do you see any issues with the settings/numbers the router is getting? I compare it to multiple posts I have seen on the forums for the CAX30 and they look normal. 

o7YTzvgvIy.png

Message 5 of 8
MarxAV
Guide

o7YTzvgvIy.png

Message 6 of 8
MarxAV
Guide

I called Spectrum again on Sunday  and they agreed to send a Tech out today Tuesday. On Monday 9 AM, there were two Spectrum trucks on my block working on the boxes they have throughout the neighborhood. From what I was able to see they replaced some cables as they were running some and after they left about 10 PM the internet has been stable. I'm no longer getting any packet loss and there was some high wait times on some connections about 150ms but that cleared up as well. Not sure what they did and there was no outage/maintenance scheduled for my area, but it has restored service back to how it was. 

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

Glad they fixed it! packet losses can be a little challenging to track down 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements