Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Any chance of SQM coming to the CAX80

Parmenedes
Aspirant

Any chance of SQM coming to the CAX80

We bought this modem/router a few months ago and have been having trouble with buffer bloat.  I stream video games, and my wife and I both work from home (like basically everyone else these days who are lucky enough to have work).  We have gigabit service from comcast, but the upload speed is only 40Mb, which (while obviously not a lot) I would have thought would be plenty for what we do.  But after doing some testing, buffer bloat appears to be a problem.

I keep getting framerate drops in my stream and have eliminated other possibilities, and according to dslreports.com speed tests, buffer bloat is pretty bad despite speed, latency, and jitter all being excellent.  I figured I'd try turning on SQM to see if it would help and was rather surprised to find out (so far as I can tell) that there is no option on this VERY expensive router for SQM - there don't even appear to be any QOS settings, unless I'm mistaken.

Considering the cost of this modem/router, this seems kind of astounding considering that there are much cheaper models that give you those options.  Am I missing something here?  If not, is there a possibility that this function could be added as part of a firmware update?

Edit: our hardware version is 1.01

Firmware 2.1.1.4

Cable firmware 1.02.08

I'm running a windows 10 pc, and my wife uses a macbook.

Message 1 of 5

Re: Any chance of SQM coming to the CAX80

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

There maybe a different problem if your seeing streaming problems which SQM would not fix. Lets first check to see if your source ISP signals are good up to the modem. 

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status page.
Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

Also QoS is mostly automatic now days on NG routers and such. NG seems to have given up giving any manual QOS configurations to there users. 

Are you streaming wireless or wired? 

@Parmenedes wrote:

We bought this modem/router a few months ago and have been having trouble with buffer bloat.  I stream video games, and my wife and I both work from home (like basically everyone else these days who are lucky enough to have work).  We have gigabit service from comcast, but the upload speed is only 40Mb, which (while obviously not a lot) I would have thought would be plenty for what we do.  But after doing some testing, buffer bloat appears to be a problem.

I keep getting framerate drops in my stream and have eliminated other possibilities, and according to dslreports.com speed tests, buffer bloat is pretty bad despite speed, latency, and jitter all being excellent.  I figured I'd try turning on SQM to see if it would help and was rather surprised to find out (so far as I can tell) that there is no option on this VERY expensive router for SQM - there don't even appear to be any QOS settings, unless I'm mistaken.

Considering the cost of this modem/router, this seems kind of astounding considering that there are much cheaper models that give you those options.  Am I missing something here?  If not, is there a possibility that this function could be added as part of a firmware update?

Edit: our hardware version is 1.01

Firmware 2.1.1.4

Cable firmware 1.02.08

I'm running a windows 10 pc, and my wife uses a macbook.

Message 3 of 5
Parmenedes
Aspirant

Thanks for the responose.

Comcast has definitely provisioned the modem correctly.  We had some problems initiallly and had a tech come out to the house who replaced a bunch of connectors that had gotten rusty or whatnot, got rid of a splitter, and adjusted the power settings so since they were not at the correct levels (my wife and I had verifired this before we called them to come out, which was part of why we had the tech come in the first place.  Upstream and downstream power levels are all right where they should be now, and our cables are great.  I'll look into posting the status page if that would really help.  I'm streaming wired only.  1000Mb download, 40Mb up, latency around maybe 10ms, jitter typically less than 4.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

If this is the case then streaming should be fine if on the wire. 

Be sure your LAN cables are of good quality. CAT6 is recommended...

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7