Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Blocking Devices (Model: C3700v2)

FullGrownNut
Aspirant

Blocking Devices (Model: C3700v2)

I'm in a situation that I might have to block some devices connecting to my guest network from my neighbor's visiting guest downstairs where I live (she's allowed to use my signal, but her visiting guest is starting to use too much of my data).  

I know how to get into access control in my modem to do this, but I was afraid to test how it works on one of my own devices first, not knowing if it gives the capability to unblock the device once it's blocked.  I'm sure it does, but I don't see any controls to 'unblock' beforehand.  I wanted to test to see if my device will say something like 'no permission' or 'access denied' or something.  I just want to be able to do this without them knowing that I deliberately blocked access.  

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Blocking Devices (Model: C3700v2)

It can be unblocked later. I haven't ever checked on mine what message it gives. 

But you could always change the ssid/password and when the neighbor comes to ask why it doesn't work, explain their using to much data. If they're using so much you're bumping up against the data cap then have them either pay the difference for the overage or get their own service. It might be better then blocking the device. 

Message 2 of 3
FullGrownNut
Aspirant

Re: Blocking Devices (Model: C3700v2)

@plemans wrote:

It can be unblocked later. I haven't ever checked on mine what message it gives. 

But you could always change the ssid/password and when the neighbor comes to ask why it doesn't work, explain their using to much data. If they're using so much you're bumping up against the data cap then have them either pay the difference for the overage or get their own service. It might be better then blocking the device. 

Thank you, it's good to know it can be unblocked.  Yes, I know I can charge her for the difference or just tell her to get her own service, but everything is fine with her using it by herself, it's just the guest that she has staying with her for a couple of months that's the issue, therefore I'd just like to prevent that particular person's device from using my signal without them knowing that I've intentionally blocked it.  I also know I can change the password, but that would prevent my neighbor from using it, and like I said, everything works out with her using it by herself.  

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7