Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C6300 connection issues with Samsung Galaxy S4

diespam
Guide

C6300 connection issues with Samsung Galaxy S4

Just purchased my first Netgear product this week, an AC1750/C6300 Cable Modem/Router/WiFi, replacing an old Linksys WRT54G V8 that was in use for many years.
Every device in my house connects (wired and wireless) with the C6300 without issues, except my Samsung Galaxy S4 (SCH-i545 running Android 4.4.2). The S4 will connect to either the 2.4GHz or 5GHz networks (WPA2-PSK/AES, Very Strong Signal, 72Mbps Link Speed, IP Address, etc), but there is no internet access what so ever.
The S4 works without issue on all other wireless networks, including if I fire up the Linksys again (with the Netgear offline).
Other devices connecting wirelessly to the C6300 and accessing the internet successfully are an iPad (4th Gen), iPod and a H-P Pavillion laptop.

Message 1 of 6
diespam
Guide

Re: C6300 connection issues with Samsung Galaxy S4

Interesting update... my wife's Samsung Galaxy S4 will not connect either... both with Verizon Wireless and using the same version of Android (4.4.2). As a test, installed the Netgear Genie app on my phone (love it!) and can manage the C6300 directly via WiFi, so there is no issue talking to the Router, just not getting anything beyond the router to/from the Internet. Temporary Plan B is to turn off WiFi on the C6300 but keep the router and wired ports active, then add the Linksys WRT54G back as a WiFi only device (non-routing) into the mix to regain wireless connectivity with the phones while at home... not ideal but makes testing the C6300 easy enough without having to resort to switching out hardware constantly. Any thoughts or ideas on how/what to check would be greatly appreciated!
Message 2 of 6
diespam
Guide

Just for giggles... I restarted an old HTC Droid Incredible2 (ADR6350 running Android 2.3.4) that was reset to factory defaults. As with both of the Samsung Galaxy S4 phones, connected to the C6300 via WiFi but am unable to reach the Internet.
Message 3 of 6
diespam
Guide

Re: C6300 issues with Android devices

Changed the title of this reply from the original post as it was no longer specific to Samsung Galaxy S4 devices (see prior update/reply).
After trying several different configurations on both the C6300 and the connected Android devices, I finally reset the C6300 to factory defaults and rebooted... now all Android devices are able to see the Internet when connected via WiFi.
I even tried adding a Linksys WRT54G (WiFi only, no routing) into the mix with the C6300 (WiFi off) to see if that made a difference... everything that worked before with the C6300 continued to work with the Linksys and the Androids all connected but without Internet access.
This is clearly not a wireless issue per se, but more of a configuration issue with the C6300 routing as the Android devices had no issues connecting at any time and could see the router and local network when connected... demonstrated by using the Netgear Genie app to manage the C6300 from my Android phone when connect to it via WiFi.
The changes I made to the default C6300 configuration were pretty straight forward for any SOHO deployment... changing default admin passwords, SSIDs and WiFi passwords, turning off SSID broadcast, adding email notifications, etc. None of these should cause a connected device to fail to work normally, but somehow one of them, or a combination of them did.
Will advise as I learn more, but going to keep things stable for a day or so to see how it goes.
Message 4 of 6
mrmandmman
Aspirant

I was having a similar issue with my Samsung Nexus (Jellybean). I checked the router logs and was seeing DoS attacks being blocked. I disabled Port Scan and DoS Protection under WAN Setup and that seemed to fix it. Do you still have that enabled after the factory reset?
Message 5 of 6
diespam
Guide

Both Port Scan and DoS Protections are enabled by default and remain that way since resetting the device.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series