Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: C6300V2 2.4GHZ Channel Issue

JRALLEN
Initiate

C6300V2 2.4GHZ Channel Issue

Hey everyone,

I have a C6300V2 AC1750 Cable/Modem Router (running firmware version V1.03.06) and subscribe to Spectrum Internet (the C6300V2 is "certified" to work with Spectrum)  I've never really had great reliability with the 2.4GHz radio (annoying dropouts and whatnot), but it's been serviceable.  Due to the size of my house and location of the unit, connecting everything (mobile phones, laptops, smart devices, etc.) to the 5GHz radio isn't a great solution.

Recently, I've noticed that the 2.4GHz radio won't select a channel.  It is set to "Auto" yet the channel display in the GUI shows "-".  If I manually set the channel and apply it, same thing.  The SSID won't broadcast, even if it is enabled to do so.  The 5GHz radio is working normally - no problems at all.

According to the product page, there are no firmware downloads available for this model, and that the ISP is responsible for firmware upgrades.  I called Spectrum today and predictably, they said that wasn't true.  Since it was personal equipment, they can't do it.

1. Has anyone seen this behavior with the 2.4GHz radio?  If so, does someone have a solution?  What is it?

2. Are previous versions of C6300V2 firmware (specifically, V1.02.09) available somewhere?  If so, where?

3. Netgear says the ISP manages the firmware.  The ISP says they don't.  Who's right?

I'm looking for answers or solutions first before performing a factory reset.

Thanks in advance! for any help you can provide!

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Its not a simple response. Netgear does update firmware and sends it to the ISP's. The ISP's certify it and push it out to devices. But certifying it costs the ISP money so they don't tend to do it. So devices don't get updated. 

Its part of the docsis spec that the firmware comes from the ISP because its also what they use to set specific devices speeds. 

So who controls it? Ultimately the ISP has to. But they don't. 

In terms of your issue. Did you ever just try a simple factoy reset and reinstall? 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Its not a simple response. Netgear does update firmware and sends it to the ISP's. The ISP's certify it and push it out to devices. But certifying it costs the ISP money so they don't tend to do it. So devices don't get updated. 

Its part of the docsis spec that the firmware comes from the ISP because its also what they use to set specific devices speeds. 

So who controls it? Ultimately the ISP has to. But they don't. 

In terms of your issue. Did you ever just try a simple factoy reset and reinstall? 

Message 2 of 4
JRALLEN
Initiate

Thanks for the reply.

I ended up performing a factory reset and my 2.4GHz radio is able to grab a channel.  Factory resetting a device should be a last resort option.  Sure, it worked here, but c'mon - is that the best Netgear can do?

As for the bit about the firmware - my version was V1.03.06.  According to every Netgear document I can find, Netgear provides the firmware and the ISP pushes it down.  I can't physically or technically do it.  This means that Spectrum had to have pushed it down.   And according to this chart, V1.03.06 is newer than Spectrum's approved version (V.1.02.09).  There's another discussion in this community where the user was in the exact situation as me and got the runaround from both Netgear and Spectrum - both wanted to pass the buck to the other.

I liked having firmware control over my previous devices and maybe that will factor into my next purchasing decision.

Begrudgingly, this can be marked as "Resolved."

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

@JRALLEN wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

I ended up performing a factory reset and my 2.4GHz radio is able to grab a channel.  Factory resetting a device should be a last resort option.  Sure, it worked here, but c'mon - is that the best Netgear can do?---1. we're not netgear. we're the public help forum where members of the public help out. We could spend several days messaging back and forth to try and fix it but sometimes the fastest is just a reset/reconfigure. Didn't say it was the best option. just a lot of times the fastest. 

I liked having firmware control over my previous devices and maybe that will factor into my next purchasing decision.----sure should. Its why we rarely recommend combo devices on the forums. We much prefer the modem seperate from the router so the end user can update. Plus if you have something go wrong, you're not replacing a more expensive combo unit versus just a modem or router. 

Begrudgingly, this can be marked as "Resolved."

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7