Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C6900 Admin Password Change

BradyWilliams
Aspirant

C6900 Admin Password Change

For some reason my wifi will not work anymore, and whenever I try to load a page a screen pops up that reads “netgear genie”
“admin account settings”
“The admin password is being used to log in to your routers web interface. Secure your network by changing the admin password”

Then it asks me for a new password and to update security questions.

What is this? Am I being hacked?
Model: C6900|High Speed Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: C6900 Admin Password Change

many combo devices at some point get an update that requires users to change the password from the default password. 

Message 2 of 7
BradyWilliams
Aspirant

Thanks, so this is something I must do?
Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

I'd recommend changing your password from the default one
Message 4 of 7

@plemans wrote:

many combo devices at some point get an update that requires users to change the password from the default password. 

That's rare on cable modems. Users can't update the firmware.That's down to the ISP. And they rarely update firmware.

I'm not saying this hasn't happened here, just suggesting that it is less likely to be the cause of this on a cable modem/router than on a DSL modem/router or a plain router.

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

My c7800 initially didn't require the password to be changed but after a firmware push from the isp, it did. Not saying that's what happened here but most of netgear's require the change of the default password
Message 6 of 7

That is certainly the way things are going. You can get forced to change passwords from time to time. 

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7