Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: C7000 Router Modem dropping WiFi periodically on Mac OS X Catalina

bschmiedeler
Aspirant

C7000 Router Modem dropping WiFi periodically on Mac OS X Catalina

Hello, 

I have been battling this issue for about 2 months or so. 

I have a C7000 Nighthawk Cable Modem Router. Firmwire is V1.01.32. Compure is a 2017 MBP running Mac OS X 15.0 Catalina. 

The WiFi is not stable. When I reboot the Router I can connect to either of my two networks (one is ac and the other is b/g/n) and the speed is good (maybe 150Mbps on the b/g/n). 

I have

1. Reset the router (once).

2. Rebooted numerous times.

3. I have not changed the cable.

4. I have not reflash firmware or done factory reset. Open to doing this.

Isn't there some log somewhere where I can look and see what is going on? 

Thanks,

Bryan

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you know if you were having wifi problems before OSX 10.15? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 7
bschmiedeler
Aspirant

>>Do you know if you were having wifi problems before OSX 10.15? 

Approximately, yes. I started running Catalina betas in late July. However, I don't think that is the issue, as I have a work MBP which I have NOT upgraded, and it still suffers from these problems. Also, our iDevices will sometimes have issues as they of course prefer WiFi over cellular. Sometimes if I am on my iPhone or iPad elsewhere in the house network speed will start to go south and I turn off WiFi and go to cellular and speeds are great.

However, I manage the router from the Mac that is running Catalina and was running the Bets. I have not tried connecting my home MBP directly to the router as I need a USB-C to ethernet converter. 

>>What channels are you using? Auto?

>>Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz

>>and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

5Ghz is manually set to 153.

2.4Ghz was auto but manually changed it to 11.

>>Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Too many. Not neighbors really, but devices. I am using Netspot to moniter WiFi (see attached picture). However, things were running very well for about 18 months, WiFi just worked. No idea what the heck happened.

Should I try a full factory reset? 

Thank you for your suggestions. Looking at this as a learning experience.+

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I would factory reset and setup from scratch. 

ALso turn OFF all other wifi devices that put out a wifi signal temporarily to see if this helps resolve problems. 

Message 4 of 7
bschmiedeler
Aspirant

I completely reset the C7000. I have not been able to turn off all WiFi devices yet to try that.

At first I thought the issue was fixed as speed was very good! But over the last several days I have noticed that my speed varies greatly, from 180 Mbps down to less than 1. At least once a day the WiFi signal is totally gone and I have to turn the unit off and back on.

Further investigation revelaed many DoS attacks in the logs (see picture), but I have read that Netgear equipment can report false positives. If so, how the heck could I tell the difference between a real attack and a false positive?

Could the C7000 just be bad?

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I would do a whois on those IP addresses comming from 209....Ask your ISP to change the IP address on the modem as well. 

Also try to fully turn OFF ALL other wifi devices and signals to help narrow down and isolate there problems maybe coming from. 

Message 6 of 7
bschmiedeler
Aspirant

Called Spectrum again and they are coming out Monday to assist. I cannot block IPs with this modem. 

I will see what they say on Monday.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series