Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7000 stuck in IPv4 Only Mode on Charter

oncourse
Aspirant

C7000 stuck in IPv4 Only Mode on Charter

I recently moved with my C7000 modem/router combo that I've had for a couple years.  Previously I was using it on Comcast/XFINITY with no problems at all - everything worked great.

Now I live in a region with Charter Spectrum, who also says that this device is supported and should work fine.  However, the modem is currently stuck in IPv4 Only mode in the IP Provisioning mode.

I believe that this is the reason that I am having difficulty accessing many sites, with many of them either not loading at all or loading very slowly.  This includes sites like Google Drive (and all other Google sites) and Twitter.

Firmware is currently version 1.01.32.

I've attempted the following resolutions:

• Factory reset multiple times.
  • Had Charter perform a signal test/reset on their end multiple times.
  • Release/renew IP via CMD
  • Double checked that ipv6 wasn't disabled (it's not).  It is currently set to Auto Config.

Because this is an owned router, Charter basically will do nothing else to support.

How can I resolve this issue?

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: C7000 stuck in IPv4 Only Mode on Charter

How do you know it's not pulling an IPv6 setup? 

You said you had it on auto config, if you check your under your advanced status page, what does it show?

Message 2 of 7
oncourse
Aspirant

Attached screenshot of provisioning mode issue.

If I run a test at testmyipv6.com, it shows I do not have ipv6.  If I attempt to load the ipv6 only test, the page will not load.

In the ipv6 settings it shows the system delegated prefix and that's it, no other info.

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

My inlaws have the same C7000 on charter. I remoted in quick and their's shows the same IPv4 Only when you click on the modem. I've got it setup through their Advanced----advanced setup----IPv6 in auto config mode. And it pulls the proper setup but still shows "Ipv4 only" on modem page. Running it through the ipv6 test it gets 9/10 with only charter's dns server failing. 

Have you tried changing your dns server? 

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd contact the ISP and have then check for IPv6 support on the modem and ensure it's getting IPv6 from the ISP services. Ask them if there is a specific IPv6 configuration needed on the modem. If it is and it's not working right, something in FW needs to be looked at. 

@vkdelta 

@oncourse wrote:

Attached screenshot of provisioning mode issue.

If I run a test at testmyipv6.com, it shows I do not have ipv6.  If I attempt to load the ipv6 only test, the page will not load.

In the ipv6 settings it shows the system delegated prefix and that's it, no other info.

Message 5 of 7
oncourse
Aspirant

I did indeed, have had it set to Google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) with no dice.  I just tried to change it back to the default DNS just to see if anything has changed.  Same test results.

Any other potential DNS to try?  I know there's Cloudflare.  

Results of IPV6 test posted.

Message 6 of 7
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

there are two IP stacks on the device and they are independent of each other. 

The screenshot which refers to Ipv4only provisioning means Charter has provisioned your Cable modem to IPv4 ONLY. They have intentionally done it from their provisioning systems. this is for CM Mgmt 

For eRouter/WAN, there is WAN stack where user traffic is routed. You need to show Advanced page tab and also WAN connection and IPv6 connection page info. 

C7000 device just get told to provision WAN on IPv4-only or Dual-stack. Charter's DHCP/DHCPv6 and config file needs to enable dual-stack. If they have not done that, you will not see dual-stack.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7