Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7000v2 Nighthawk AC1900 Cable Modem Router - Extremely slow upload speed

USNSeabee
Tutor

C7000v2 Nighthawk AC1900 Cable Modem Router - Extremely slow upload speed

I'm having problems with extremely slow upload speeds.  Download speed is great at 470 Mbs, but upload is usually 0.24 to 0.35 Mbs using speedtest.net.  My Dell XPS desktop is hardwired to the modem with Cat 5, and now a Cat 6 cable with the same results.  I've tried all 4 outgoing ports of the C7000. 

When I unplug the cable between the PC and Netgear and the two are just connected by WiFi, upload speed jumps to 11.3 Mbs.  This suggests to me that there is a problem with the C7000, but I don't know how to troubleshoot further.  

Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: C7000v2 Nighthawk AC1900 Cable Modem Router - Extremely slow upload speed

So you only have issues over wired? Wireless is fine? 

Did you try a different cat5e cable? or a cat 6 cable? 

did you try a different wired device (maybe its the device)?

Message 2 of 9
USNSeabee
Tutor

Yes, wireless is fine and the slow upload speed only occurs when the modem and PC are hardwired.  I had a Cat 5 cable for the last several years, and read somewhere that maybe the problem is due to the cable.  I bought a new Cat 6 cable, and still have the same slow upload problem, so I think that rules out the cable as a problem. 

We don't have another wired device.  My wife's laptop takes USB-C connections and there's no place for a Cat cable.  I just ordered a connector to go from Cat to USB-C from Amazon and it should arrive Tuesday, and I'll test her laptop with a hard connection to the modem to see if it works or not.  If the laptop has fast upload speeds, then that puts the problem on the wired receiver port on my PC.  If the laptop has slow upload speeds, that would seem to confirm a problem with the modem.  I'll follow up with a reply once I've done the testing.  Thanks for the great idea.

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

Let me know with the testing. A usb-c to ethernet cable is always nice to have around for testing/playing with things. 

Message 4 of 9
Kitsap
Master

A couple of things to check.  Make sure your Ethernet port drivers on your Dell XPS are current from Dell.  Ethernet port drivers are separate from Wi-Fi drivers.  In Windows check your network properties have your profile set at private and not public.

Message 5 of 9
USNSeabee
Tutor

I tested my upload speed with my wife's laptop wired directly to the router.  I got 418 Mbs download and 12 Mbs upload.  The laptop on WiFi alone achieved 238 Mbs download and 12 Mbs upload.  I then tried my Dell desktop wired and still got 476 Mbs download and only 0.36 Mbs upload, so it appears there is definitely something wrong with my PC.  I ran some tests on the NIC but it said everything was OK.  I'm not quite sure what to do now, but since it doesn't appear to be a problem with the Netgear router, I think this community support probably can't help me, although if you have any recommendations, I'm happy to hear them.

Best regards,

USN Seabee

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure ethernet adapter drivers are updated for the mfr of that adapter. 
Try installing a new ethernet PCI adapter in the desktop PC. 

Message 7 of 9
USNSeabee
Tutor

Thanks for your incredibly fast reply!  The drivers are up to date.  Yes, I think a new ethernet PCI adapter is probably the next step.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

One last test you can try, book the PC into SAFE mode with NETWORKING enabled. Run a speed test there. This would help rule out any apps or security apps causing problems possibly. 

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7