Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7000v2 intermittently losing download speeds

yepphers
Aspirant

C7000v2 intermittently losing download speeds

I purchased my Netgear C7000v2 in Feb 2019. My internet package supports 

• Up to 150 Mbps download
  • Up to 10 Mbps upload

I was getting up to 180 download but sometimes it drops to 17, 32, and the upload speed stays the same. I contacted my ISP and they said I was not getting all the signals at 100% and advised me my router/modem was defective and to return it. I purchased it at Best Buy where they have a 15 day return policy. I do not have a paid service contract with Netgear and I am not sure if I need to pay for the service call to return this or if there may be another suggestion in settings. I am  using factory default settings for the router/modem.

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: C7000v2 intermittently losing download speeds

Has the ISP checked the signal and line quality up to the modem?

Be sure there are no line splitters between the ISP service box and modem. 

Be sure to test with a wired PC connected to the modem.

Try a different C series modem to see if the one you have could be faulty. 

Message 2 of 4
yepphers
Aspirant

The ISP help desk told me there were red lights to my modem. She said my modem was not working properly and needed to be replaced. This was the second or third time I had this problem and called them. I had rebooted the modem several times to see if that would clear it out. The line from my home has not been changed or inspected for years. I didn't have any problems until using the Netgear C7000 modem.

My ISP wants $75 to come to the house to look at my setup. As of today, it is working the way I expected at 180 Mpbs and the problem with dropping speeds has not happened in a few days. I guess I will pay the $75 to have the lines checked when the problem reoccurs. Thank you very much for your reply and I will discuss with the tech when the time comes.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements