Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7100v delete NETGEAR54 wi-fi broadcast

roysofnahant
Aspirant

C7100v delete NETGEAR54 wi-fi broadcast

Hi, I set up my router to broadcast a network name but the default channel NETGEAR54 still shows up - how do I kill that?

I saw a previous query that naming a new network should kill it but it did not. I can't see where the settings for that NETGEAR54 network live.

TIA

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: C7100v delete NETGEAR54 wi-fi broadcast

Just be sure your devices are connecting to your SSID custom name. Avoid using the default the comes on the NG modem. The default there is just mostly for getting the system setup. It's always recommended to change this default SSID name to something else. Some users may not understand this so they keep what they see. 

Enjoy. 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

https://kb.netgear.com/23439/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-s-WiFi-password-or-network-name-SSID

Do you have Smart Connect enabled? Try this enabled. This will create one SSID name for both 2.4 and 5Ghz radios.

Message 2 of 9
roysofnahant
Aspirant

Appreciate your reply, however I cannot seem to find Smart Connect. Would you point out which tab it is under? Firmware v2.01.45

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

The c7100v doesn't have smart connect. 

Did you change the ssid for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz?

After the change, does the new ssid show up? Wondering if maybe its someone elses network or an extender

Message 4 of 9
roysofnahant
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply. We have renamed both the 2.5 & 5g networks. The attached graphic does show NETGEAR54 as being one of the neighbors but how could we log in? Did Comcast give us the same default password? Doubtful. We do have a MESH in the house but if I unplug it, the dastardly NETGEAR54 still shows up, like a bug on a plant that hides in the leaves!

Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 10.05.04 AM.png

So, surmising it is a neighbor, any way to block it? The multiple networks are confusing the less tech savvy in the house.

I need another cup of coffee.

Thanks in advance.

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

So with your modem turned OFF, these appear in your wifi scans? 

If your have set up a custom SSID name, other than NETGEAR54, then you would only be looking to see the custom SSID name you setup on your modem. The other SSID names would not be something you would connect to since there your neighbors which maybe using the default NG SSID name that they haven't changed. Theres no way to block SSID names from other sources. 

Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

@FURRYe38 is correct. there isn't any way to make changes with it if its someone else's network. 

Maybe it was an open network before. 

Or maybe you missed an extender/satellite as part of your mesh network when you thought you had them all. 

Message 7 of 9
roysofnahant
Aspirant

As the resident quasi-geek in the house, gotta say this has been fun.

The latest: Un-plugged router and the MESH clients. NETGEAR54 persists. Short of powering down the whole house (an option I admittedly entertained for a split second), we just need to be aware of what network we are logged into, rogue sattelite be damned.

Thanks so much for all your help! A great group.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Just be sure your devices are connecting to your SSID custom name. Avoid using the default the comes on the NG modem. The default there is just mostly for getting the system setup. It's always recommended to change this default SSID name to something else. Some users may not understand this so they keep what they see. 

Enjoy. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7