Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7800 cox issues

EL20
Follower

C7800 cox issues

I just bought the C7800 model and I have Cox internet. Also, I upgraded my speed to 500 mbps, however, I don’t see a noticeable difference. Cox tech support said there are issues with Netgear and products. Has anyone experienced download speed issues with Cox?
Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: C7800 cox issues

How are you testing? 

Via a wireless connection or a wired connection? 

Its kind of an important question for several reasons.

1. 2.4ghz is much slower than 5ghz. much much slower. 

2. even 5ghz rarely will see >300mbps speeds. You need a decent wireless chip and to be close to the router to see >300mbps speeds.

3. Usually the limiting factor for wireless is the device itself and not the router. The C7800 is a 4x4 antenna device. But most wireless devices are 1x1 or 2x2 antenna devices. 

4. Wireless (especially wireless AC) isn't as fast as wired. 

5. How you're testing the speeds is important to. Many testing sites can default to a poor test server. Its worth trying different sites/tests for speed testing. 

What device are you testing on? 

What speeds do you get wired into the router? 

Message 2 of 5
GinSoCal
Aspirant

I've been having the same issues and have spent countless hours on the phone with Cox and Netgear support. I have Gigablast service (provisioned at 940 down/35 up) and get close to that with a wired connection. But even on 5G wifi, I'm not getting out of the 100 GB range! Had a Cox technician test the line and they confirmed the full speed is coming into the modem.

On my second unit (Netgear Tech Support thought the first one was defective), and the replacement model is producing even SLOWER speeds! The issue is with the wifi, and despite escalating to Level 2 support at Netgear who was supposed to have their engineers look at the logs, I have yet to hear back and I've been trying to get this issue resolved since July 4th! Extremely frustrated and wish Netgear would address the Wifi issue whether it be an issue with the antennas or their software.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep in contact with NG support. Be aware that you'll never see any wifi speeds near 900Mpbs. Most 5Ghz AC devices max out at around 400-500Mpbs wirelessly. I would expect to see you should see some speeds over 200-300 however depends on your wireless device support and design.

@GinSoCal wrote:

I've been having the same issues and have spent countless hours on the phone with Cox and Netgear support. I have Gigablast service (provisioned at 940 down/35 up) and get close to that with a wired connection. But even on 5G wifi, I'm not getting out of the 100 GB range! Had a Cox technician test the line and they confirmed the full speed is coming into the modem.

On my second unit (Netgear Tech Support thought the first one was defective), and the replacement model is producing even SLOWER speeds! The issue is with the wifi, and despite escalating to Level 2 support at Netgear who was supposed to have their engineers look at the logs, I have yet to hear back and I've been trying to get this issue resolved since July 4th! Extremely frustrated and wish Netgear would address the Wifi issue whether it be an issue with the antennas or their software.

Message 4 of 5
GinSoCal
Aspirant

I have literally been on hold trying to get a support tech for more than 2 hours. They're impossible ot get a hold of. This is beyond frustrating - no customer should have to put this much time or effort into getting a product to work correctly!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7