Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CAX30 AX2700 - DHCP not working properly after power outage

jpryde
Aspirant

CAX30 AX2700 - DHCP not working properly after power outage

I had a power outage the other night and after the outage, I noticed that many of my DHCP devices will not reconnect because they cannot get an IP address.

I saw a similar post where someone mentioned changing their NTP settings which I tried and did not help.

I'm on FW v1.4.10.8

I have had this issue happen previously, and Netgear support had me factory reset the modem, which did not fix the issue. The only thing I was able to do to fix the issue previously was change my SSID, which I cannot keep doing every time I have a power outage.

Right now I have been able to get a few devices reconnected by setting their IP instead of using DHCP, but this is obviously not ideal either.

Is this a known issue with the firmware and is there any verified fix for it?

Thanks, let me know if I can provide any additional info.

Message 1 of 17
jpryde
Aspirant

Realized the model was incorrect in the title.

It is a Nighthawk AX2700

Message 2 of 17
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi jpryde,

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

Thank you for reaching out. We are sorry to hear about your experience with the product. Just to clarify, with the previous power outage, resetting the cable modem allows you to reconnect the wireless devices but this time, even after resetting the wireless devices won't reconnect, you need to manually set the IP address to each wireless device in order to reconnect, is that correct? Also, does it affect both wired and wireless devices or only wireless devices? Have you tried to reflash the firmware already?

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 3 of 17
jpryde
Aspirant

Hi,

Doing a full factory reset "fixed" the issue, however if I changed my SSID back to what it was before I did the factory reset, the issue returned immediately. It was only after changing my SSID that it went away.

This time, I imagine if I changed my SSID again it would fix the issue, however I can't keep changing my SSID every time I have a power outage as I'll have to reconnect every device in my house every time it happens.

I have reflashed the firmware and it hasn't solved the issue, I'm on the latest firmware currently.

Message 4 of 17
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi jpryde,

Thank you for response. Please try to downgrade the firmware of the CAX30 instead. To manually load the firmware, please go to this step:

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 5 of 17
jpryde
Aspirant

Which version of firmware should I downgrade to?
Message 6 of 17
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi jpryde,

You may choose any of the previous firmware versions or try both previous versions.

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 7 of 17
jpryde
Aspirant

I went ahead and downgraded to the previous firmware and it was successful, however I am still experiencing issues with some of my wireless devices not getting an IP address.

For example, on my phone I am able to set a static IP and connect, but if it is set to DHCP I am never able to get it to connect. This is an issue on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs.

Message 8 of 17
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi jpryde,

We would like to endorse you to NETGEAR Level 2 support team for a callback. Please provide the following information:

Name:

Email:

Phone:

Preferred schedule (atleast 2 days ahead)

Timezone:

Device S/N:

Alternatively, if you wish to be contacted via email only then kindly include your preferred email address.

I am looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 9 of 17
gbgadgets
Guide

I am having the exact same issue.  I have about 45 devices reguallary connected to my home network.  Some of them are able to get an IP address from the DHCP assignment and some are not.  For those that are not, if they can be setup as a static IP address (not easy for some IOT devices), then they will connect.  I have turned off the wifi on the device and just use the wired LAN and the issue persists for wired devices as well.  I have not downgraded the firmware yet, as the latest post seemed to mention that the user still needed to select static IP addresses for devices to connect. 

I just bought this CAX30 AX2700 cable modem/router from Costco about a month ago to replace a Netgear C7100V-100NAS that I had no issues with.  I cancelled my xfinity voice plan, and wanted to upgrade to wifi 6 AX technology, but this issue is a big one.

Message 10 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post a new post in this forum and we'll help you out. 

Thank you. 

@gbgadgets wrote:

I am having the exact same issue.  I have about 45 devices reguallary connected to my home network.  Some of them are able to get an IP address from the DHCP assignment and some are not.  For those that are not, if they can be setup as a static IP address (not easy for some IOT devices), then they will connect.  I have turned off the wifi on the device and just use the wired LAN and the issue persists for wired devices as well.  I have not downgraded the firmware yet, as the latest post seemed to mention that the user still needed to select static IP addresses for devices to connect. 

I just bought this CAX30 AX2700 cable modem/router from Costco about a month ago to replace a Netgear C7100V-100NAS that I had no issues with.  I cancelled my xfinity voice plan, and wanted to upgrade to wifi 6 AX technology, but this issue is a big one.

Message 11 of 17
jpryde
Aspirant

I've sent you a PM with my details
Message 12 of 17
gbgadgets
Guide

I am not seeing any PM message yet...?

I went ahead and created a new post per the request of the poster above too.

Message 13 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/AX2700-CAX30-DHCP-stopped-assigning-IP-address...

@gbgadgets wrote:

I am not seeing any PM message yet...?

I went ahead and created a new post per the request of the poster above too.

Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@jpryde wrote:

I went ahead and downgraded to the previous firmware and it was successful, however I am still experiencing issues with some of my wireless devices not getting an IP address.

For example, on my phone I am able to set a static IP and connect, but if it is set to DHCP I am never able to get it to connect. This is an issue on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs.

Message 15 of 17
jpryde
Aspirant

I still continue to have this issue even after the downgrade.

For example, my Nest thermostat will not connect at all. My phone is only able to connect to my network when I manually set a static IP.

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Have you changed the default DHCP IP address pool to 192.168.1.100 to .200? 
The try setting up some IP address reservations for some of your devices? 

Is Smart Connect enabled? 

Try disabling Smart Connect and AX mode on 2.4Ghz. 

Be sure to set WPA2 and AES only for wifi security. 

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7