Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CAX30 Xfinity issue (FIXED)

Flipster103
Guide

CAX30 Xfinity issue (FIXED)

Like all of you, I was bashing my head against the wall wondering what was going on with my router.

I got a call from xfinity today saying they had 300+ calls in the past few hours just due to this.

I figured out it has something to do with the traffic meter....

To fix this, factory reset the router by sticking a small pin into the back of the hole and holding it for like 7 seconds.

After that, give it a bit of time and then go to your nighthawk app. The login will be "admin" for the username and "password" for the password. 

Now, go to your computer and type in "192.168.1.1" It will make you create a new password - do it.

Then, go to the advanced tab, then click "advanced settings" and scroll to traffic meter. Turn it on, click apply. Then turn it off, and click apply.

I don't know why this works, but it's the only thing that worked for me. Hope this can help someone else out.

Message 1 of 35

Accepted Solutions
Flipster103
Guide

To anyone else finding this thread, this will work.

After resetting the router and downgrading back to the older firmware V1.4XX (not V2), and resetting again, it will work normally. There is a tutorial on how to go back to the old firmware on YouTube. You just download the zip file, extract it and then “upload” the file into the router and wait for it to be done.

So:

*before you start this process below, you MUST download the older firmware and upload it into your router by going to 192.168.1.1 on your web browser and logging in, and uploading it.

1. Factory reset the router by holding a pin in the back for 7+ seconds

2. Wait for the router to do its thing (about 2+ mins) and then go to the Wi-Fi on your phone, connect using the password on the side of your router.

3. Once connected to the network, open up the Nighthawk App. Type in “admin” for username and “password” for the password.

4. Go to the settings on the app, change back your Wi-Fi network names to your choosing and change the password for both networks to your choosing (both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz). This process will take awhile to load, but just wait for it to complete.

5. Go to your PC, type in 192.168.1.1 on the internet browser.

6. Enter admin as the username and the new password you just created in Step 4 and login.

5. That’s it - you’re done. You’ve now re-enabled Wi-Fi at full speed and the router should function normally.

On a side note:

To the Netgear management team/engineers: This entire debacle could’ve been totally avoided and should have been double-checked before an update to the firmware was sent out that killed 10,000+ peoples’ internet connectivity. For a router that costs over $300 MSRP, this is unacceptable. We pay a premium for the Netgear brand and this has been very disappointing. Poor quality control, bad firmware and a lack of immediate response is not okay. I was about to spend $100 on an Xfinity technician because I had no idea this issue was so widespread the first 2 days and thought my ISP connection went bad, and I know many others who have spent $50+ on tech repairs that were unnecessary, because they thought their ISP or router was broken too. Instead, the fix is this giant, long process and requires us to revert back to OLD firmware. This has made me seriously re-think all future Netgear purchases. Do better.

View solution in original post

Message 28 of 35

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Interesting why TM would be helpful or a cause. 

I'll pass this on to NG for review. 

Let get this into the right forum as well. 

Thank you. 

Message 2 of 35
Flipster103
Guide

Yeah I’m not sure why it works - but it does.

If I didn’t turn the traffic meter on, then off - then my internet wouldn’t work. It was only until I did that portion of the solution that things reconnected.
Message 3 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thanks for the additional info. I'll pass this onto NG. 

Please mark your thread as Solved so others will know. 

Message 4 of 35

Have Spectrum and that fix worked as well.
Message 5 of 35
yusniel
Tutor

Worked on Xfinity, thanks!!! Just take on count, if you change the wifi password, for example 

password1

and apply, not take the change, but if after that, put password2 as password and apply again, will take password1 as password, 

excuse the tongue twister lol

Message 6 of 35
yusniel
Tutor

Just updating on situation, when i changed ssid to my needs, because my whole house depends on this ssid, the issue comes back, so, let the router as is after the factory reset until NG solve this crap

Message 7 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version do you guys have loaded on the CAX30? 
If v2.1x the recent version, you might want to downgrade to last v.1.4x

Seems there was a FW update this past Monday...

Message 8 of 35
yusniel
Tutor

yes its V2.1.3.10, i dont try to downgrade yet, i dont know if after downgrade will be upgraded again to latest version

Message 9 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Was told NG is removing that version. So downgrading should be ok. 

Message 10 of 35
dairydug
Initiate

thank you for the directions to fix.  I was about to spend $50 to speak with NetGear.  Though, because I had previously tried the typical fixes myself, lost the ability to use the Admin username.  I even had to leave the house to get away from home wifi.  Then was able to log in using Admin on an iPad as a workaround.  Thanks again.  

Message 11 of 35
seaglass
Aspirant

I independently found the traffic meter solution yesterday before learning about these forums. Putting 0 as the default limit doesn't make any sense. I was convinced the problem was my ISP because I didn't know Netgear auto updates firmware. Next time I'll come straight here for answers.
Message 12 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 13 of 35
fuzzyrice
Initiate

Hello, 

I tried resetting my modem/router and it won't revert back to its original settings.

Its almost as the internet wont go through nor will it show the factory SSID name. 

how can I fix this? 

Message 14 of 35
idol7
Aspirant

I downgraded to FW 1.4 but now I can’t enable 1801 mbps speed in my settings. It’s stuck at 430 mbps max on 5G setting
Message 15 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

You may want to downgrade FW to v1.4x as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Gateways/Nighthawk-CAX30-I-just-downloaded-v1-4-11-2/m...

@fuzzyrice wrote:

Hello, 

I tried resetting my modem/router and it won't revert back to its original settings.

Its almost as the internet wont go through nor will it show the factory SSID name. 

how can I fix this? 

Message 16 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you factory reset the modem and setup from scratch after downgrading FW? 

@phanik2007 wrote:

I downgraded to V1.4.11.2 and now the 1801 mbps option does not work anymore. You can still use the 860 mbps option.

Moreover, my iPhone 14 Pro now has a 3 sec lag after the firmware upgrade while using WIFI only. Other devices are fine.

NetGear really made a mess and hope they will release a fix soon.

Message 17 of 35
ztan
Aspirant

Thanks folks suggestion. Try factory reset as well as enable/disable traffic meter. Modem works for few hours and hit Internet down issue again. Both Workaround effects are the same as rebooting modem. 

Version is V2.1.3.10. 

Message 18 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Please downgrade the CAX30 to v1.4x please. v2 has problems and was pulled. 

@ztan wrote:

Thanks folks suggestion. Try factory reset as well as enable/disable traffic meter. Modem works for few hours and hit Internet down issue again. Both Workaround effects are the same as rebooting modem. 

Version is V2.1.3.10. 

Message 19 of 35
Flipster103
Guide

Mine was working for a bit….now nothing. I’m having the same issue as before. I’m about to throw the damn router out the window and never buy a netgear product again.
Message 20 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 21 of 35
Flipster103
Guide

Well maybe never mind…I am on 1.4

I just got a notice from XFINITY saying 2,500+ customers affected by an outage and I gusss I am one. So annoying.
Message 22 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok if there having ISP issues then lets let them get there side fixed. 

Might post in a new post and copy and past the cable connections data page and Events Log page so we can take a look at those. https://kb.netgear.com/30007/How-do-I-obtain-the-cable-connection-information-from-a-NETGEAR-cable-m...
https://kb.netgear.com/30008/How-do-I-view-or-clear-the-event-logs-on-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mode...

Please make a new post. 

Message 23 of 35
Neweraamv
Aspirant

Downgraded firmware now stuck on 430 mbps on 5g
Message 24 of 35
Flipster103
Guide

Having same issue as well. Suppppper slow and laggy. Cannot enable 1800 option, once you click “apply” it reboots back to 430 on 5 GHz.
Message 25 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 31 kudos
  • 15 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7