Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CAX80/AX6000 missing time zone setting option for Arizona (Case # 43925670)

PaulClifO
Aspirant

CAX80/AX6000 missing time zone setting option for Arizona (Case # 43925670)

To whom it concerns,

I was directed to post my problem here (presumably so that others can search for it).

My problem is that our newly purchased modem/router (model: CAX80/AX6000) currently does not contain within its settings a time zone option for the state of Arizona. This is important because Arizona does not observe DST. Therefore, the only two partially relevant options (Pacific or Mountain Tiime) will be wrong for half of the year, right for the other.

I am also told that having incorrect time zone settings on my PlayStation 4 can negatively affect the quality of online game connections, so I wonder if the same could be true for the modem/router's settings. Maybe, maybe not.

Anyway, I was told that the engineering team can see this issue here and put the setting within the next firmware update. Hopefully that will be the case.

Thank you,

Paul

P.S. While typing up this new discussion, in the line labeled "Model (etc.)", I was unable to find my exact model of modem/router. It seems that the option is currently not in that list, FYI.

Message 1 of 4
Doug_Ho
Apprentice

Re: CAX80/AX6000 missing time zone setting option for Arizona (Case # 43925670)

I am not from Netgear and do not live in Arizona but I have CAX80.  In the web interface for modem settings such as timezone (Advanced-Admin-NTP), immediately underneath there is a checkbox "Automatically adjust for daylight savings time".  You would simply need to leave that checkbox disabled, which is the default. after selecting the appropriate zone which I think is Mountain.

Also you may not be using feature which requires local time to be within one hour, it might just be for log files

Message 2 of 4
PaulClifO
Aspirant

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your reply, I didn't see it until now.

You're right on leaving the DST auto-adjust unchecked, but the problem still exists that half the year Mountain Time is correct and the other half Pacific Time is. (Right now, during DST, Pacific Time is correct)

I'm unsure of the feature you mention about local time being within an hour, can you explain, please?

Much appreciated,

Paul

Message 3 of 4
DougHog
Aspirant

I am not currently using the CAX80 and have never lived in AZ, but I was trying to make two points.  If AZ is UTC-7 all year long, then it seems like you should be able to select Mountain (UTC-7) but be sure not to enable the DST checkbox (which causes 1 hour additional difference during summer).  In other words I don't think you should need to be doing anything with Pacific (doing so would indicate to me that the DST checkbox function is not disabled in way that I expect).  Second point was that accurate time in the router is not used for very much, at least for me.  Most obvious thing would be timestamps in any log files.  Only other thing is that there are probably feature(s) where you can do something like turn Wi-Fi off with some scheduled time.  If you are not using features like that, then the router probably does not care what time it is.  I'd guess that the majority of users have it set to whatever is the default (Pacific without DST?) regardless of where they live in world - and they don't even realize it.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7