Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CAX80 Multi-gig ethernet port dropping

traleigh
Initiate

spent a year with tech support to no avail.

i only use it as a cable modem, no routing or wifi.

i still drops the 2.5g port to 1gig on occasion.

Message 26 of 42
GACuban
Star

Yikes!  I guess I should return to Amazon while I still can.  No other products like it?

Message 27 of 42
Vlalkor
Guide

updating to the new firmware from march 22' fixed the issue for me. It was/is definitely a firmware issue.

Message 28 of 42
Vlalkor
Guide

There is this however not sure if it will fix:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/New-CAX80-Firmware-Version-2-1-3-7-Released/td...

This fixed it for me!

Message 29 of 42
GACuban
Star

Thanks!

I had upgraded to that firmware and it got really bad.  So, the Netgear tech support told me to downgrade to the prior firmware.  Just not sure if they really know what is going on.

So, you are sure the problem with the 2.5 port is now fixed for you?

Message 30 of 42
Vlalkor
Guide

No issues since upgrading to the V2.1.3.7 firmware (was V2.1.3.5 before)

Message 31 of 42
GACuban
Star

Thanks.  How long have you been on the new firmware without the issue?  A few days or weeks?

Message 32 of 42
Vlalkor
Guide

A few days so far, but the issue was VERY noticeable and instant before. I would notice the D/Cs instantly with the prior firmware version.

Message 33 of 42
GACuban
Star

Thanks.  Is the device you have connected to the multi-gig port one that can handle more than 1 Gbps?

Message 34 of 42
Vlalkor
Guide

yes

Message 35 of 42
wtpeters
Tutor

It's July 2022 mine is doing the same thing random disconnects, and when in a game that 15 drop is terrible. Very disappointed in this modem. Paying for 1200 and only can use 947.

Message 36 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

What do you have connected to the multi-gig port? 

What CAT# lan cable are you using?

@wtpeters wrote:

It's July 2022 mine is doing the same thing random disconnects, and when in a game that 15 drop is terrible. Very disappointed in this modem. Paying for 1200 and only can use 947.

Message 37 of 42
wtpeters
Tutor

Mine does the same thing

Message 38 of 42
wtpeters
Tutor

Cat 6, one computer, extensive troubleshooting with cable company. Report was the modem. That is my conclusion. This modem has not worked properly on the 2.5 gig port since I've owned it. Latest firmware update went back to 2.1.3.5. The problem persists. On the one gig ports it is flawless. I have turned off the radios on both wiifi. The problem lies in the modem. 

Message 39 of 42
GACuban
Star

With my switch to AT&T Fiber only 2 months after having bought this defective modem, I am at least thankful of not having to worry about the connection.  The AT&T gateway actually connects at 5 Gig, so even higher than the Netgear port at 2.5 Gig.

Message 40 of 42
wtpeters
Tutor

Yup same problem here on my modem. I am back to using the one gig ports. Not happy either this modem has been out long enough for this problem to be solved. 

Message 41 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Wanna try a CAT6A STP cable from this port to the PC? 
I'm currently using a CAT6A STP cable from this port on mine to a NG XS505M multi gig switch. Been working for weeks here. 

@wtpeters wrote:
Cat 6, one computer, extensive troubleshooting with cable company. Report was the modem. That is my conclusion. This modem has not worked properly on the 2.5 gig port since I've owned it. Latest firmware update went back to 2.1.3.5. The problem persists. On the one gig ports it is flawless. I have turned off the radios on both wiifi. The problem lies in the modem. 

Message 42 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 41 replies
  • 14 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7