Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CAX80 Unresponsive / only shows power light

ewilcks
Tutor

CAX80 Unresponsive / only shows power light

I recently came back home to a lack of wifi service. I went over to my CAX80 and saw that only the power light was lit. I unplugged everything and plugged it back in with no luck. Attempted a factory reset and start as if I had just purchased the router, but it will never get the "online" light to illuminate or broadcast a wifi signal for the nighthawk app to connect to. Attempted to connect via ethernet, but its unable to direct connect to 192.168.1.1 / .0.1. Looking at the ISP website, it shows no connection to the router despite plugging in via coax to multiple connection sites. At this point, I'm out of ideas to figure out how to get the router reconnected and downgrade firmware (may be the issue?). Any help is appreciated before I'm forced to go and replace the $500 router after 13 months of use.

Message 1 of 19
plemans
Guru

Are you able to access it if you go to 192.168.100.1?

Do any of the other lights come on at all during startup? 

Message 2 of 19
ewilcks
Tutor

All of the lights light up initially, but then they subsequently go out leaving only the power light illuminated. I was unable to connect via 192.168.100.1.
Message 3 of 19
plemans
Guru

The hardest part is the cax80 has a boot loop. What that loop is is that during startup, if it doesn't detect a connection to the isp, it just continues to boot/reboot. 

Sometimes you can access it when you're first starting it up and its looking for that signal. But its a narrow window. 

If all the lights are turning on for a bit, usually its searching for that signal. Does it try to detect a downstream connection during bootup? 

Message 4 of 19
ewilcks
Tutor

I'm not sure what I'm looking for while it is attempting to detect the downstream signal. ISP is coming out today to ensure there is connectivity available at the coax port. More to follow after their visit...

Message 5 of 19
ewilcks
Tutor

So the ISP said everything is up to snuff on their end. I would like to hope that the router didn't just die on itself, but I'm not finding anyway to get connectivity. Multiple power cycles and factory resets have yielded no change in status.

I have connected the router to a computer via ethernet cable in both Multi-Gig (LAN) and port #1. LAN shows no ethernet connection on the computer. Port #1 shows a connection with an assigned IP address, but no IP address for the router itself. Working off of a Mac if that matters.

Message 6 of 19
plemans
Guru

when you're connected to port 1, are you able to ping it at all? Try both the 192.168.100.1 and the 192.168.1.1 address

Message 7 of 19
Elchert
Guide

My cax80 just did the same thing. Did you get it to work or is it junk now?
Message 8 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you disconnected the modem from the coax line and factory reset the modem by pressing the reset button for 10 seconds then release and see if the front LED come to life? 

pull the power adapter for 30 seconds then back in...

FYI:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/NOTICE-Users-with-sudden-non-functioning-CAX80...

@Elchert wrote:
My cax80 just did the same thing. Did you get it to work or is it junk now?

Message 9 of 19
Elchert
Guide

Re: CAX80 bricked power light on/ no response to ping

Mine has done the exact same thing. Heading to Walmart to get something not Netgear. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out how to cancel armor so they don't auto renew again. So frustrating and costly, what a p.o.s.
Message 10 of 19
Elchert
Guide

Yes I've done those things. ( I haven't messaged those people). It doesn't work. Seems to be a prevalent issue that Netgear is running from. Honestly when I forget about the money I am about to spend to replace I'll be glad to be rid of Netgear especially after the fiasco of armor being renewed from Netgear and bitdefender. No more of that's them not us BS.
Message 11 of 19
Elchert
Guide

The cax 80 problem has now reached my unit. I'm out of the expansive 1 year warranty. Anything Netgear can do for me? I'm guessing no because the one guy already tried all of this.

Message 12 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to contact the forum moderators listed in that link I posted and ask for additional help and information regarding this. This is beyond forum help. 

@DarrenM @olympos1625 

Message 13 of 19
gorlando
Aspirant

I'm experiencing this exact same thing for the second time with the CAX80. I originally purchased my device in July 2021 and had to receive a replacement device in March 2022 while still under warranty. Now 4 days after my original device purchase, my hardware warranty is conveniently expired and this is happening all over again. Not even 6 months after receiving my 2nd device from Netgear. 

They should at least reset the device warranty if they have to issue a new device. This is absurd. Such an expensive piece of hardware and it can't even last me a full calendar year. Says a lot about Netgear products. At this point, I'd rather just rent a modem router from my ISP.

Message 14 of 19
Elchert
Guide

Update. Talked with level 2 Eduard . Netgear is aware of the issue I have a new system coming soon. Kudos to the Netgear team.
Message 15 of 19
XMa
Initiate
Initiate

I currently face the same issue. Is there any solutions?
Message 16 of 19
Elchert
Guide

PM @DarrenM, he helped me connect with level 2. I have a new unit that just came yesterday and sent the bricked unit back today. Good luck
Message 17 of 19
Elchert
Guide

Though from what I understood I was going to receive an orbi, but another Cax80 unit arrived so hopefully the same thing doesn't happen.
Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

After you get the CAX80  setup and connected, please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status page.

@Elchert wrote:
Though from what I understood I was going to receive an orbi, but another Cax80 unit arrived so hopefully the same thing doesn't happen.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7