Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Sadly this is an ongoing issue with the CAX80

house0fpayne
Aspirant

Re: CAX80 can't upload 5GHZ

I can confirm that this new V2.1.5.2 did not fix the 5GHz uploading issues with the CAX80 on Xfinity. I can't even send emails at certain times. Also, if I try to upload and files to my server that is over 50MB it drops the connection. Pushing git commits that are larger don't work either. Is there ever going to be a fix for this or do we all just need to buy a new none Netgear router? I did noticed that I had more luck uploading larger files until I downgraded my xfinity plan from the Gig to the 800Mbps. It all works every time on 2.4GHz.

Message 101 of 162
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the brand and model# of the 5Ghz wifi adapter your using with the CAX80?

How are you uploading files? Web browser or other app? 

Are the uploads stopping or stalling or just going really slow? 

What channels are you using? 

Smart connect enabled or disabled? 

Is Armor, SPC or Traffic Meter enabled? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.

@house0fpayne wrote:

I can confirm that this new V2.1.5.2 did not fix the 5GHz uploading issues with the CAX80 on Xfinity. I can't even send emails at certain times. Also, if I try to upload and files to my server that is over 50MB it drops the connection. Pushing git commits that are larger don't work either. Is there ever going to be a fix for this or do we all just need to buy a new none Netgear router? I did noticed that I had more luck uploading larger files until I downgraded my xfinity plan from the Gig to the 800Mbps. It all works every time on 2.4GHz.

Message 102 of 162
house0fpayne
Aspirant

I'm using a Mac Book Pro 2019.

I"m uploading files with FileZilla or to bitbucket through my terminal.

The uploads are stopping and erroring out.

2.4GHz is set to auto channel currently using 7. 5GHz is set to 36.

Smart Connect is disabled.

I don't know what Armor or SPC is but Traffic Meter is disabled.

I did a factory reset after I did the FW update.

I don't know where to set the DHCP IP settings.

This seems to only happen still on 5GHz with anything over 50MB.

Message 103 of 162
FURRYe38
Guru

Does it still happen if you change channels to 1 on 2.4Ghz and 48 or 149 on 5Ghz and Smart Connect enabled? 

@house0fpayne wrote:

I'm using a Mac Book Pro 2019.

I"m uploading files with FileZilla or to bitbucket through my terminal.

The uploads are stopping and erroring out.

2.4GHz is set to auto channel currently using 7. 5GHz is set to 36.

Smart Connect is disabled.

I don't know what Armor or SPC is but Traffic Meter is disabled.

I did a factory reset after I did the FW update.

I don't know where to set the DHCP IP settings.

This seems to only happen still on 5GHz with anything over 50MB.

Message 104 of 162
house0fpayne
Aspirant

Sadly this is an ongoing issue with the CAX80

Sadly this is an ongoing issue with the CAX80. I wish I could take mine back but it's too old now. I wish Netgear would just fix the issue already.

Long thread of this issue:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Gateways/CAX80-can-t-upload-5GHZ/td-p/2158905/highligh...

Message 105 of 162
house0fpayne
Aspirant

I don't have Smart Connect enabled cause I don't have the same SSID name for both 2.4 and 5. I have them as Name and Name Juiced.

I did set the 2.4 to channel 1 and the 5 to channel 48.

No change. I still can't upload more then like 20MB.

Message 106 of 162
house0fpayne
Aspirant

Re: Sadly this is an ongoing issue with the CAX80

What model did you buy? I might be doing the same.

Message 107 of 162
house0fpayne
Aspirant

Also, I can't set my 5GHz to channel 149 as it only goes up to 128.

Message 108 of 162
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you try with Smart Connect enabled. 

I tested mine out last year and was able to upload several gigs of data to a cloud site for testing thru the CAX80 with it's wifi enabled. Saw no issues other than seeing performance is slower on current FW which may have been put there by NG to help with debugging this issue. 

Also, to help avoid having to get a entire different unit, one could set the CAX80 to modem only mode and install a external wifi router in mean time. 

I have passed this on to NG for review. 

@house0fpayne wrote:

Also, I can't set my 5GHz to channel 149 as it only goes up to 128.

Message 109 of 162
yatman60
Star

I just went a bought a new one thinking my old one went bad and then I ran across this thread.

Needless to say, my new one doesn't work either. 

Looking at the history of this issue, I can't believe it's been about 1.5 years since this was first reported and there's still no resolution to this. For the kind of money Netgear is charging for this piece of junk, I'm surprised there's no class action lawsuit in place on this!!

Message 110 of 162
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What 5Ghz devices do you have connected when this happens? Brand and model of any wifi adapters being used please. 

How is the Basic and Advanced WiFi settings configured on the CAX80? 

@yatman60 wrote:

I just went a bought a new one thinking my old one went bad and then I ran across this thread.

Needless to say, my new one doesn't work either. 

Looking at the history of this issue, I can't believe it's been about 1.5 years since this was first reported and there's still no resolution to this. For the kind of money Netgear is charging for this piece of junk, I'm surprised there's no class action lawsuit in place on this!!

Message 111 of 162

Yep... I have heard people with different ISPs have completely different experiences. Mine (Xfinity) is one of the bad ones. At least we have a workaround 🤷 On my windows 11 desktop PC w wifi 6 the connection doesn't give me any issues. But Netgear knows they got us over a barrel... I just hold my breath with every new firmware.
Message 112 of 162
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What 5Ghz devices do you have connected when this happens? Brand and model of any wifi adapters being used please. 

How is the Basic and Advanced WiFi settings configured on the CAX80? 

@ilikecerealtoo wrote:
Yep... I have heard people with different ISPs have completely different experiences. Mine (Xfinity) is one of the bad ones. At least we have a workaround 🤷‍♂️ On my windows 11 desktop PC w wifi 6 the connection doesn't give me any issues. But Netgear knows they got us over a barrel... I just hold my breath with every new firmware.

Message 113 of 162
yatman60
Star

This was the brilliant response from a Netgear support "expert" on this issue. Instead of doing research and even checking these forums, or reviewing my call logs or support history, he tries to sell me advanced support options and asks me what's been done to date - when all that is in my logs.

My name is Rye from NETGEAR Support.

I am following up on your case about: **it seems the 5g wifi is having issues. On many of my applications, when on 5g, files are not uploading or simply get blocked but when i'm on the 2.4g everything works just fine. Not sure what's going on but need to get this resolved asap.**

Please provide us with the following information so that we can fully isolate the case.

- Are there any error messages? Does this issue affect all devices connected to 5Ghz?

- What is the Firmware Version of the router?

- What are the troubleshooting steps that you've done so far? Have you tried doing a factory reset and reconfiguring the CAX80?

Here are some helpful knowledge-based articles you can try to resolve your concern.

How do I change the wireless channel on my NETGEAR router?
https://kb.netgear.com/23783/How-do-I-change-the-wireless-channel-on-my-NETGEAR-router

To troubleshoot wireless network connection:
https://kb.netgear.com/1110/How-do-I-troubleshoot-my-wireless-network?article=1110

Aside from the above free options, I highly recommend our GearHead Premium Services, which will entitle you to phone support for this issue, and in addition, you will also get unlimited support for all your other home networking devices. For more information, please visit the GearHead website at http://gearhead.netgear.com.

The good thing about this GearHead plan is that we do not immediately charge you for it. We are just going to preauthorize your credit card before we proceed with the troubleshooting. The actual charging will only take place after the issue has been resolved.

If the issue is not resolved, there will be no contract sold and you won't be charged. And if the device is found to be defective, it will be replaced.

Plans for unlimited tech support for PC and connected devices

6 months plan: $89.99
1-year plan: $139.99
2 years plan: $229.99

This contract will give you 24/7 technical support for PC and connected devices with a direct phone number to call.

Learn more about GearHead
https://www.netgear.com/home/services/gearhead/

For additional support/information about your product, please visit http://support.netgear.com/product/

For now, I will leave your case open. However, If there will be no response from you then this will be auto close due to inactivity.

Keep safe!

Rye
NETGEAR Support Expert

Message 114 of 162
FURRYe38
Guru

We've already passed this to NG for review. No idea when it will be fixed. 

Message 115 of 162
yatman60
Star

1) What Firmware version is currently loaded?

- 2.1.5.2; we have also tried to downgrade to older versions and that made no difference. I am not back on 2.1.5.2

2) What 5Ghz devices do you have connected when this happens? Brand and model of any wifi adapters being used please.

- Microsoft Surface Studio

- HP x360 Laptop

- Samsung Galaxy S22 Phone

- iPhone Xs Max (not currently used regularly)

- Nvidia Shield

- LG C1 TV

- Xbox One (not currently used regularly)

- Sony PS 4 (not currently used regularly)

Message 116 of 162
FURRYe38
Guru

I would input that in to the open case ticket you have as well. 

Message 117 of 162
yatman60
Star

We've already passed this to NG for review. No idea when it will be fixed. 

- What's the point of spending this kind of money for a supposed best-of-class device and an issue that's been known for 2+ years can't be fixed and there's no word on when it will be fixed. Why did I pay for a 5G WiFi router then if I can't use the 5G??

Message 118 of 162
yatman60
Star

Done

Message 119 of 162
naveennelluri
Aspirant

In have the exact same issue on CAX80 on 5 GHz. I can't upload. The upload speed test doesn't work. Whatsapp can't upload backups or I can't send files from Whatsapp. 2.5 GHz works fine, though. Have been having this issue since I bought CAX 80 3 months ago.
Message 120 of 162
cn360
Aspirant

I bought my CAX80 about 2-3 months ago as well. It uploaded on 5ghz when I first bought it. Armor did expire on my account and I feel like the 5ghz upload issue started around then but can't confirm. Does anyone have Armor activated and still seeing this issue?

Message 121 of 162
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried a full on factory reset and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser and don't use the Nighthawk app or enabled Armor, SPC or Traffic meter to see if this problem continues? 

Last time I tested my CAX80 on 5Ghz upload, all worked though performance wasn't near my 50Mpbs, uploads worked. My Armor expired long ago and never renewed it. 

@cn360 wrote:

I bought my CAX80 about 2-3 months ago as well. It uploaded on 5ghz when I first bought it. Armor did expire on my account and I feel like the 5ghz upload issue started around then but can't confirm. Does anyone have Armor activated and still seeing this issue?

Message 122 of 162
yatman60
Star

None of those troubleshooting techniques will work. They've all been tried by the various folks in the this thread.
Message 123 of 162
Mop4se
Aspirant

Hello,
I have the same exact issuse as other user described.
I did all the steps to troubleshoot the CAX80 but no use.
Hope, NG will solve this issue in next firmware.
Message 124 of 162
Retired_Member
Not applicable

It may have taken so many years, but I think I finally figured out.

Check to make sure that any devices that are having this upload issue, don't have their network settings set to use MAC Randomization.

If you turn that off on any of your devices having the problem, does that make it work properly again?

Message 125 of 162
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7