Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CAX80 keeps rebooting

kinghq1
Star

To make this easier, WAN v. LAN.

IF you have no idea on these than chances are you did not change anything 🙂

With that said a Modem just handles traffic.  It is only responsible for moving the 0's and 1's.  It doesn't translate anything, it doesn't tell the 0's and 1's were to go.  The ROUTER routes the 0's and 1's.  IT is the equipment response for sending stuff to your PC or Playstation or mobile device.  It uses a unique address, the IP Address.  Much as your house address is unique to you, your devices IP Address is unique to it.  Unlike our house address, the IP Address CAN change, unless it is dedicated or you are behind a Router.

Now then, with regards to the DoS Land Attacks.  When I log into my CAX80, the logs show:

kinghq1_0-1655882855305.png

The 192.168 addresses are called NAT, see description above.  THESE are provided by the Router side, these are how Home Routers are typically setup, but they can be changed to anything.  If you are curious to know more, you need to look up NAT or IP Address convections to learn more.  As for the others that show 73.65., this is the starting address assigned to Xfinity by the Global IP Address commission.  And when I look at the Modem IP Address it is the same as the Source under the DoS Land Attack.  IF you see the same then it is coming from WITHIN, if this is showing different then chances are it is coming from outside.  You can use any IP Address lookup tool to see the Source address and who it is assigned to.

Message 101 of 112
FURRYe38
Guru

So I see, these are coming suppossedly from the WAN side. Target is 255.255.255.255 oddly. 

Message 102 of 112
jffwarner0
Guide

In my case, the "source IP" is different from my Modem's IP and is the IP of my ISP (COX Internet). I've spent all week working with them on this and they're unsure what's going on. I've done full resets of the CAX80 (I've tried updating manually from files and from the NG server), COX came out and checked every cable and line and had no issues they could find, and COX has stated they're not seeing anything abnormal on their end.

It is worth noting that the reboots have stopped for me, my current uptime is now at 6 days, so some improvement. and I can now set up my reboots schedule again. Though I'm still getting those LAND attacks. The last 2 notices in the log had 25 reported 20 minutes before this write-up, and I had another one pop up while I was in the midst of writing this.

As additional troubleshooting, I've disconnected every single device from my network and still had these LAND attacks appear (disconnected everything but my wired PC, verified nothing was connected except the wired PC, unhooked wired PC, left house, came home hours later to find dozens of LAND attacks when nothing was connected to the network), so it's not any devices in my network causing it.

Message 103 of 112
Omnitron
Guide

I think it’s fair to assume that Netgear fixed the reboot issues. I suspect they were just pushing the OTA over and over because of a bug in firmware version detection.

For the LAND attacks: they’re still happening every 10/20/40 minutes since 2.1.3.7, and happen on multiple devices (Orbi, CAX80, …) and multiple ISPs (Xfinity, Cox, …), so we’ll likely need a new firmware version for those. But I don’t think we should be discussing that issue here, maybe the following thread would be more appropriate?
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/DoS-attack-LAND-Attack-SPT-2190-DPT-2190/m-p/2...
Message 104 of 112
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes if the reboots have stopped. Great to hear and know. 

For any other stuff please follow in the more appropriate post threads so we get all information inlcuded there.

Thank you. 

Message 105 of 112
milad6387
Guide

It does seem like the restarts have gone away, which is good.

However, I do see that my downstream LED keeps blinking. It seems like it is not bonding.

Can those of you who had the internet restart problems check to see if your downstream LED is solid or blinking?

Thank you.

Message 106 of 112
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status page.

@milad6387 wrote:

It does seem like the restarts have gone away, which is good.

However, I do see that my downstream LED keeps blinking. It seems like it is not bonding.

Can those of you who had the internet restart problems check to see if your downstream LED is solid or blinking?

Thank you.

Message 107 of 112

Is there something preventing NG hardware owners from blocking the auto-update server? Maybe blocking the port number it is utilizing? Also the NG C7800 started having this exact same issue at the same time the CAX80 got its .7 update. It has gotten so bad that my C7800 finally burned itself out after thousands of reboots caused by fake DoS attacks. Which of course forces me to use up my 4 year warranty more than a full year before my warranty would have expired.

Message 108 of 112
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Gentleman1013,

Thank you for reaching out. We are sorry to hear about your experience with the modem. We would like to endorse you to NETGEAR Level 2 support team for a callback. Please DM us the following information:

Name:

Email:

Phone:

Preferred schedule (at least 2 days ahead)

Timezone:

Device S/N:

Alternatively, if you wish to be contacted via email only then kindly include your preferred email address.

I am looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 109 of 112

I've already made an insurance claim on the cable gateway at this point as I've been dealing with this issue for years and finally had enough.

Message 110 of 112
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@Moreno279 wrote:
For the past 3 days my CAX80 has been rebooting every 4 to 5 hours. I’ve tried connecting the power source directly to an outlet and that didn’t work. I did a factory reset and that also didn’t work. I’ve tried rebooting from the NH app and manually but that also didn’t work. I’ve only had my router for 2 years I’m not sure what to do at this point.

Message 111 of 112
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Gentleman1013,

We are really sorry again for the inconvenience this has caused you. Rest assured that your feedback will help us improve our product and services in the future. We hope we can still regain your trust.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 112 of 112
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7