Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CAX80 keeps rebooting

Moreno279
Aspirant

CAX80 keeps rebooting

For the past 3 days my CAX80 has been rebooting every 4 to 5 hours. I’ve tried connecting the power source directly to an outlet and that didn’t work. I did a factory reset and that also didn’t work. I’ve tried rebooting from the NH app and manually but that also didn’t work. I’ve only had my router for 2 years I’m not sure what to do at this point.
Message 1 of 112
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CAX80 keeps rebooting

Only one reason is that the Modem is loosing the ISP signal or the signal from the ISP is dropping or not getting to the modem. IF this happens the CAX80 will continuously reboot until the ISP signal on the line is established. 

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status page.
Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...
https://kb.netgear.com/24311/Power-level-guidelines-for-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-router?article=24311
https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html

Message 2 of 112
kinghq1
Star

Getting similar issue.  I noticed on 11 Jun 22 the Downstream light was flashing.  I unplugged power for 30 seconds and plugged back in which resolved the blinking light.  Then on 12 Jun 22, approx. 0300 MST, the modem rebooted and it has rebooted every day since about that time.  I reached out to Xfinity, who after much nashing and wailing for teeth, they said that there was a downstream issue and that I needed to switch to a different outlet . . .  Still scratching my head over that one.  Been plugged into the same one for 2 years, no issue.

SO here is what I see on my Modem page:

kinghq1_0-1655204190561.pngkinghq1_1-1655204230118.png

kinghq1_2-1655204407832.png

kinghq1_4-1655204467726.png

kinghq1_5-1655204554951.png

Any ideas?  I don't think switching outlets will have any result, not sure what the downstream, coming through the Coax, has anything to do with being plugged into the power outlet.

Message 3 of 112
commodon
Star

After nary an issue for a long time my CAX80 indicated a firmware upgrade to 2.1.3.7 was available last week. I upgraded the firmware without issue, but since then I have been experiencing an issue with nightly reboots between 1am to 3am. Not sure of the cause at this time, but I didn't have this issue prior to the firmware upgrade. I have since downgraded to firmware 2.1.3.5 to see if the issue resolves itself.

Message 4 of 112
tfc3000
Star

I have the same issue since updating the firmware to v2.1.3.7. The router reboots between 1am to 3am, 7am to 10am and even in the afternoon. Pretty annoying when you work from home and get disconnected from Zoom calls.

@commodon please let us know if the v.2.1.3.5 downgrade resolves the issue for you 🤞

Message 5 of 112
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Guys,

Good day!

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

We are sorry to hear about your experience with the latest firmware update. Does anyone able to isolate the issue by downgrading the firmware?

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 6 of 112
commodon
Star

@tfc3000 

I've been running v2.1.3.5 all afternoon with no issues so far. I'll report back what I learn tomorrow.

Message 7 of 112
commodon
Star

@olympos1625 

I've downgraded to v.2.1.3.5 earlier today. So far, no issues, but I'll continue to monitor and report back my results tomorrow.

Message 8 of 112
milad6387
Guide

Thank you everyone.

I had the same problems that everyone here is mentioning. I first noticed the issues on 6/10/2022.

Per everyone's suggestions, I have downgraded the firmware. I will let you know what I find out within the next 24 hours.

Mine was rebooting 3-5 times a day. So I'll know fairly quickly.

Message 9 of 112
kinghq1
Star

Ok, downgraded to .5

However, how do we prevent .7 from being reinstalled?  I did NOT update to .7, router did it automatically.  I've searched through the settings and I do not see any option to NOT update.

Message 10 of 112
commodon
Star

Since downgrading to 2.1.3.5 I haven't encountered any reboots and the logs look clean since the downgrade.

I plan to run with 2.1.3.5 for a while longer to see, but so far, so good.

For those who need it, you can download 2.1.3.5 from https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/CAX80/CAX80-V2.1.3.5.zip

Message 11 of 112
kinghq1
Star

*sigh* nope, reset again, but was 2 hours later than normal, at 5am instead of 3am.

BUT I'M BACK TO .7

kinghq1_0-1655291242369.png

Message 12 of 112
milad6387
Guide

I did some research and Netgear seems to have removed the option for automatic updates.

I feel like they need to acknowledge this issue and either come up with a patch or stopping the automatic updates to .7.

Message 13 of 112
tfc3000
Star

@commodon how did you manage to stop the router automatically updating from 2.1.3.5 to 2.1.3.7?

@olympos1625 will Netgear release a patch to fix the constant router restarts in 2.1.3.7? Or at least stop the automatic firmware updates so we can stay on 2.1.3.5?

Message 14 of 112
commodon
Star

@tfc3000  I have not done anything to enable or disable firmware upgrades.

On the occasion when I login to the UI, if I see a message indicating there is a firmware upgrade I upgrade. Such is what occurred last week, when I logged into the UI and observed the indication there was a firmware update available to 2.1.3.7. It was at that time I upgraded. Such was not an automatic process.

Else it remains running whatever is currently installed, which at present is v2.1.3.5

Message 15 of 112
milad6387
Guide

It seems like yours is working differently than ours. I did not initiate any updates. The CAX80 has been doing it automatically.

I wonder if enabling/disabling automatic updates used to be a feature at some time, but now it is no longer. Maybe you got "grandfathered" in.

Would love some Netgear feedback on this.

Message 16 of 112
kP206
Guide

Hey Moreno,

Everyone that did the firmware update is experiencing reboots every four hours as well. If you look in your router logs it will show a DOS ATTACK LAND. I had Comcast come out and replace cable lines thinking it was Comcast. But now I think it was because of this firmware update. I contacted Netgear about the issue already. So now its just the waiting game. 

Message 17 of 112
kP206
Guide

Hey Commodon,

Do you by chance know where I can download the old firmware? Thanks in advance. 

Message 18 of 112
kP206
Guide

thank you for the link!! you're awesome!! 

Message 19 of 112
tamanaco
Apprentice

Add me to the list of users whose CAX80 running 2.1.3.7 keeps rebooting. For me it started on 06/08/22 with the router rebooting between 3am and 5am every day. It all started with the false "A router firmware upgrade is available" banner and the frequent [DoS attack] LAND Attack SPT:2190 DPT:2190 messages in the log. I tried factory resetting CAX80 using the reset button in the back, but it failed to fully reset the CAX80. I have re-flashed 2.1.3.7 several times, but the router still reboots overnight.

I didn't know/notice that the option to stop automatic firmware updates had been removed with 2.1.3.7. I'm probably wrong, but maybe the router is receiving a malformed message at about the same time from the Netgear firmware update server telling the router that there's is a new firmware available and that it needs to reboot to install it. At minimum Netgear should release a new firmware re-adding the option to configure the router not to check for new firmware updates or to update the firmware automatically. (Default to get firmware updates Manually with an "option" to set the checks for firmware updates automatically or vice versa)

Message 20 of 112
Omnitron
Guide

The issue is that firmware upgrades get pushed by the ISP themselves repeatedly (once they ‘promote’ it), such as Xfinity. Reverting to 2.1.3.5 only lasted until the following night for us, then by morning it was back on 2.1.3.7.

The issue might be that 2.1.3.7 is just bad firmware, but it could also be that one of the setting defaults changed since 2.1.3.5. For example, I noticed that “Starting Frequency” under Cable Connection has changed from 405MHz to 507MHz, so next time we get a disconnect, I’ll try forcing the old value to see if it helps. If it doesn’t, we might have no choice but to wait for another firmware fix by Netgear.
Message 21 of 112
kP206
Guide

I hope Netgear doesn't wait an eternity to release a newer firmware...... So annoying when you have a school work due and your modem reboots. 

Message 22 of 112
tamanaco
Apprentice

"The issue is that firmware upgrades get pushed by the ISP themselves repeatedly (once they ‘promote’ it), such as Xfinity. Reverting to 2.1.3.5 only lasted until the following night for us, then by morning it was back on 2.1.3.7."

@Omnitron- Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the ISPs can push updates to the "Modem" side of the router. The router side is updated by Netgear either via OTA push/pull or manually via locally downloaded firmware. You can download the v2.1.3.7 firmware directly from Netgear and update your router yourself, but you can't get the firmware for the Modem side (It's ISP dependent).

Message 23 of 112
Omnitron
Guide

Would be interesting to get official confirmation that the ISP cannot possibly be the one pushing 2.1.3.7, and that it’s Netgear OTA pushing it instead (I didn’t know OTA pushes were a thing).

Either way, would be good to collectively confirm if the change in Cable Connection -> Starting Frequency is the culprit or not, since that’s the only user adjustable field that seems to have changed since 2.1.3.5.
Message 24 of 112
FURRYe38
Guru

Has anyone tried applying v.7 FW manually, after it's applied, factory reset and then setup from scratch. 

I've NOT seen any odd reboots on my CAX80 with v.7 loaded. 

One main issue that would cause a reboot is that the ISP signal has stopped or signal on the line is degraded. Remember the CAX80 will auto reboot if ANY signal on the line  becomes bad or the signal completely stops for any reason. 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...
https://kb.netgear.com/24311/Power-level-guidelines-for-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-router?article=24311
https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html
https://highspeed.tips/docsis-events/

Message 25 of 112
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7