Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CAX80 will not factory reset

reversingproxy
Aspirant

CAX80 will not factory reset

Honestly don't know what to do with this thing. I have had other issues with it in the past (dhcp assignments would constantly drop connections so I had to statically assign like everything in my home), but this new development is a new one on me. I moved recently and swapped from Xfinity cable to AT&T fiber. Was trying to get my CAX80 connected to the AT&T modem/router and use it instead of theirs, so naturally I wanted to factory reset this thing. New environment, new ISP, seemed reasonable. Every time it would factory default, load up, and allow me into the admin page though, it would only remain default for a minute or more. Then I would get kicked out while it rebooted again, and come back online with it's old configuration again. I have tried doing it via admin page, AND via the reset button on the back of the device. I tried for hours and every time it would somehow get it's old config back on there and not work properly. I have no clue what to do with it anymore and had to shelve it and use the ISP router. Any ideas? It's on the latest FW and other than the dhcp thing, has served me well at my old home.

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CAX80 will not factory reset

As mentioned, if your trying to use the CAX80 as a router only connected to another router, this won't work and is not supported. The CAX80 can only work as a gateway router or in modem only mode connected to a cable coax ISP service line. 

@reversingproxy wrote:

I think you're missing the point but that may be on me for not explaining the setup properly:

Fiber connection>ATT gateway>CAX80>endpoint

the CAX80 is connected via Cat6 cable on an ethernet port on the ATT router gateway. Turn on IP passthrough in the ATT RG and you can use your own (in this case the CAX80) router as the home router instead of theirs. That's the ultimate goal, but I would like to erase my old config from the CAX80 to start fresh on it since it is a new ISP. 

I understand there is a cable modem component to the CAX80 and I'm not trying to hook that up in any way. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 11

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

The CAX80 is not compatible with Fiber services. Fiber use ONTs as interfacing with home networking routers. The CAX80 is for cable ISP services. 

Message 2 of 11
reversingproxy
Aspirant

I think you're missing the point but that may be on me for not explaining the setup properly:

the CAX80 is connected via Cat6 cable on an ethernet port on the ATT router gateway. Turn on IP passthrough in the ATT RG and you can use your own (in this case the CAX80) router as the home router instead of theirs. That's the ultimate goal, but I would like to erase my old config from the CAX80 to start fresh on it since it is a new ISP. 

I understand there is a cable modem component to the CAX80 and I'm not trying to hook that up in any way. 

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

If the CAX doesn't detect a connection on the coax port, it automatically reboots. So it won't work as a router only device

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

As mentioned, if your trying to use the CAX80 as a router only connected to another router, this won't work and is not supported. The CAX80 can only work as a gateway router or in modem only mode connected to a cable coax ISP service line. 

@reversingproxy wrote:

Message 5 of 11
reversingproxy
Aspirant

Welp. Thank you for the answer. Now I know. 😞

Message 6 of 11
reversingproxy
Aspirant

Dang.

Message 7 of 11
reversingproxy
Aspirant

ohhhh gotcha

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

One of those things that when you get into a gateway modem, there limited on what modes they can work in. Ya would be nice to have it run in a AP mode configuration so you could use the wifi radio but it can't. Just how they are designed. 

Maybe you can find a good home for it if your going to keep with Fiber. 

Message 9 of 11
reversingproxy
Aspirant

I think that's the plan now. That really stinks but I get it. I appreciate the help and info!

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Have a good weekend and good luck. 

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements