Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1000 data usage

Kimmy8304
Follower

CM1000 data usage

Ok... I’m stuck everyone. Ever since Xfinity sent out an email saying they were implementing data caps, I all of a sudden was eating through 1 gig of data a month. We haven’t done anything different and I’ve had my equipment for about a year with no issues. I’ve updated my router firmware, added the security feature, and changed the password. I know everything that is currently receiving internet (which everything is the same as before). My two rokus are updated as well (only have them on for maybe 1 hour a day max). I’ve called Xfinity several times with this data eating issue and every time they blame it on the roku or my apps on my phone. I even let them know multiple people in the neighborhood are being affected by this as well and still they do nothing. I’m close to filling a complaint with BBB and FCC at this point. Is there any way for my to see what is consuming all my data? I logged into my modem but didn’t see anything helpful.
Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: CM1000 data usage

The cm1000 is a modem only device. It doesn't have data tracking or anything like that. 

Some routers do but netgears don't have a device specific tracking. 

Message 2 of 4
whdevl
Aspirant

Log into your router & check various device usages, etc...BitMeter and NetWorx are free Windows data accounting tools. In Windows, theres an option under it’s Networking settings to select (metered connection.” Personally, I use the app, “FING” to help keep track of everything.
I understand the frustration of always being told that it’s from streaming media, blah, blah, blah... but seriously, make sure everyone that uses your streaming services have the same settings in regards to format/quality of product being streamed.
I sympathize with you..I went from utilizing Fiber to a satellite connection for years due to where I had moved to.
I apologize if this doesn’t help much.
Message 3 of 4
Razor512
Prodigy

Which router model are you using, depending on the model, you may have some device specifids throughput pusage. For example, on many Netgear rotuers, if you have QOS enabled, the attached devices page will list the per current throughput usage, though it will not maintain a count of the overall data use over time.

While it will not be all of the information you want, it would be able to tell you what is using a bunch of data, especially if you monitor while the devices should be idle.

It is also useful for spotting a compromesed device that mat be taking part in a bot network.

Beyond that, if it turns out to be streaming, see if you can fnd ways to save on data, e.g., instead of streaming, consider checking if you can find any h.265 versions of the content that you can store locally, especially for content that multiple people in the home may want to watch.

Also keep an eye on some of your game launchers, some such as the microsoft ones use really bad DRM where often entire encrypted packages need to be replaced, thus what may be a small 100MB update on one platform, may end up being a 10+ GB download on the microsoft store for the PC due to their DRM not allowing certain archives to be modified.

Also, certain free to play game launchers such as the one for armored warface, use the DHT network for distribution and can result in the client also seeding updates for others (make sure you are not seeding).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7