Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1000v2 - Do I have a defective modem?

ArizonaPhxguy
Aspirant

CM1000v2 - Do I have a defective modem?

Bought this modem earlier this year (about 6 month ago). Every once in a while we lose connection, I'm assuming due to the provider. When the internet service is restored, my modem will not connect unless I reboot it. I've also noticed that connecting in the morning sometimes is slow when I bring up the computer, this one doesn't concern as much as the former. Having cameras connected to the wifi so things can be checked while away is another reason the internet service is important. Recently while on vacation for a week, we found our connection was lost shortly after leaving and cameras as well as the themostat were unaccessible until we returned home and I could reset the modem. In the past, other modems reconnected after coming back up but this one doesn't do that. Seems that almost everytime we get an interuption in service it requires a reset (on/off) of the modem to regain internet connectivity. Not that it should matter, I'm running a recently built computer running Win10, Intel I7, 64GB RAM Also a netgear router. DO I HAVE A DEFECTIVE MODEM? 

Model: CM1000-1AZNAS|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CM1000v2 - Do I have a defective modem?

Do you have a wifi router connected to the modem? if so, what brand and model#?

Do you see problems with out the wifi router connected to the modem?

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status page.
Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

Message 2 of 6
ArizonaPhxguy
Aspirant

I have a Netgear nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router Model R6700
Last check there is no software update for this modem. Both Modem and Router work fine as long as there's no issue with the cable service going down, which does happen from time to time. If the service goes down for even a brief period, the modem will not connect until it's reset.
At this point I'm very unhappy with the modem performance and unless a software update or warranty replacement solves the problem soon, I'll be looking at new Motorola modems to replace this one. Our security system mandates we have internet access and if it doesn't come back up on its own during a temporary interruptions and we're away for a prolonged period there's no security for the duration. we'll be forced to look at other solutions. This was one of the more expensive modems and is only 4 months old. Pretty short life for a $150 modem. I pay more for this type of equipment to avoid what's happening. 
A call to Netgear tech support was a waste of time and totally frustrating with many unrelated questions to answer, a static filled line, an agent with a heavy accent making even harder with the static to communicate. Next he hangs up with no call back after taking my number stating he'll call if cut off. I don't have that kind of time to waste, it's less expensive for me to replace the modem. Customer Service was a sad joke and I for sure wouldn't pay for it if asked. Maybe that's why it doesn't work right after 4 months, 1 month after the free support runs out. It's a perfect business revenue stream for the company. Build soddy products then charge the customer for support or Go to the community for support on a 4-month-old modem!!! very poor!! They don't stand behind their products. The next one will NOT be a NETGEAR product. Very unhappy - unreliable, expensive, poor warranty, no customer service or tech support and no respect for a loyal customer.  

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you see problems with out the wifi router connected to the modem?

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status page.
Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

Message 4 of 6
ArizonaPhxguy
Aspirant

About a year prior to getting this modem, I purchased the Netgear router. I had an old inexpensive Motorola modem which died. There's a relatively new, tested and currently in use, dependable coax cables connecting both in and out. There are no splitters. One coax cable going to one Netgear router. It sets in one isolated but cooled and vented area. New cables in and out. Everything worked fine until the old Motorola modem died. All I did was replace that modem on 3/28/21 with this new one. IT WORKS FINE unless there's an intreruption with the COX cable internet service and then the modem does not reconnect to the internect until it's turned off (and I wait a while) then turn it on. From that point on, all is well until the service is interupted. It's impossible for me to make it any more clear then I have. I don't buy new and more expensive equipment to spend time trouble shooting and in fact don't have the time to spend. As I stated before, if I get get it to reconnect once the service comes back up it will have to be replaced. My time comes at around $100 an hour so just taking time to write all this is equal to a new modem let alone going through a bunce of trouble shooting and the time wasted attempting to get support on the phone (a mean joke). We don't buy new electronics to trouble shoot issues with them. They should be built correctly so they perform properly, which this one does not do. Unless Netgear cares to stand behind their products, it'll be headed to Goodwill after I get the replacement and it'll be my last Netgear product. 

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck then. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7