Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1100 Frequent drops, high latency, and slow download speeds.

LibraryDad
Follower

CM1100 Frequent drops, high latency, and slow download speeds.

Hello!

I have been having a lot of trouble with my internet for the past year+ and have been searching for answers. The connection fully drops out several times a day, throughout the morning, afternoon, and evening. Our speed and latency varies wildly, but never gets anywhere near the speed we pay for, which is marketed as "Up to 960 Mbps" on their "Gig plan" (Vyve Broadband). I realize that its unlikely to ever hit that speed but we are lucky if it even gets to 50, and are typically seeing <20. We have had technicians out multiple times, they test the line at the street and say its all good so it must be our equipment. We rented their equipment for about two years and never saw any improvement. I switched to my current set up a little over a year ago ( "CM1100" paired with a "TP-Link Deco M9 Plus Tri-Band Wi-Fi System" and still haven't seen any improvements. My main desktop is wired with a CAT 7 (Upgraded from a CAT6 just to see if it would helped...) ethernet cable and I have a TP-Link Gigabit Ethernet Network Card (TG-3468).  I am really curious if this is on my end or if it is my ISP. I am super limited on providers where I live so I really want to figure out a solution. I attached a PDF with my most recent speed tests, along with the event log and other information from the modem page. If anyone has any suggestions I am very eager to hear them!

Thank you!

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CM1100 Frequent drops, high latency, and slow download speeds.

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...
https://kb.netgear.com/24311/Power-level-guidelines-for-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-router?article=24311
https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html

Test the CM modem with 1 wired PC connected to the modem with out the router being connected. See if you notice anything different. 
Also you might test the line for any Packet loss and other items with www.pingplotter.com here as we..

Message 2 of 4
Kitsap
Master

I am sure others with add to these comments.  The cable signal to your CM1100 is absolutely miserable.  Any hardware, including the modem, on in does not stand a chance of providing a decent internet connection.

You need to start at the coax connection right at your CM1100 and inspect the cable for loose, corroded, poorly installed connections.  Also for cuts or splits in the insulation or any damage.  Splitters, amplifiers, or any device that is not new and shiny all the way back to the transition to where Vyve owns the wiring.

Are you in a multi-family dwelling where you cannot inspect the coax?

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Signal on the line is too low. 

Too many Correct and Un-correctables. 

I would have the ISP check the line up to the modem. Review Errors and Critical messages in the Events Log as well.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7