Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1100 No Longer Compatible with Xfinity Due to Security Software

subquest
Guide

CM1100 No Longer Compatible with Xfinity Due to Security Software

Xfinity sent out an email that my CM1100 modem is no longer compatible with the 800 Mbps plan even though the specs on the device exceeds that.  Xfinity's initial reason was due to INCOMPATIBLE BASED ON FILTERS.  In reaching out, they provided the following response:

"The security software version of the modem is an older one hence comcast does not support modem security, kindly update the software..."

When I expressed that I thought the ISP controls the software, they indicated:

"Xfinity only updates the firm ware on the modem , the security software is itself provided by the manufacturer which also needs to match with the signal that we send, it is due to this that the error message has popped up."

In reviewing Netgear site, it indicates that most models firmware is controlled by the ISP.  I see no mention of this security software they are talking about or a way to do any software update, including the firmware, looking through the modem interface.   Any thoughts and/or help would be very appreciated.

Message 1 of 42
plemans
Guru

Re: CM1100 No Longer Compatible with Xfinity Due to Security Software

There isn't really any security software to a modem. The router has firewall/security software but not the modem. 

If xfinity is saying it isn't compatible, there's going to be having a lot of users with incompatible modems as the cm1100 is a newer modem

Message 2 of 42
Kitsap
Master

Your CM1100 is fine.  It is a DOCSIS 3.1 certified cable modem.  It will provide service on the Xfinity cable system for years to come.  Xfinity has really gotten out of line with their "notices" trying to up sell you something you do not need or really want.  Xfinity in particular targets users that own their own modem and do not rent a modem.

The only limit on your modem is the output ports that are rated at 1 Gbps.

What is the throughput tier of the plan you purchase from Xfinity?  If it is anything above 1 Gbps, you should consider saving some money by downgrading to a less costly plan.

Message 3 of 42
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Have you checked to see if the speeds have changed?

DarrenM

Message 4 of 42
subquest
Guide

I have been running a number of different speed test. It has been bouncing around a little more and has been a little lower, especially with Xfinity's soeed test. I was at 600 Mbps plan and saw upper 500s Mbps into 700s Mbps range. Test over last day been more mid 500s Mbps but the one I just ran went over 700 Mbps again. I can't help to wonder if Xfinity sends out the notice and does something.
Message 5 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status and event log page.
https://kb.netgear.com/30007/How-do-I-obtain-the-cable-connection-information-from-a-NETGEAR-cable-m...
https://kb.netgear.com/30008/How-do-I-view-or-clear-the-event-logs-on-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mode...

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 
What is the brand and model of the host wifi router connected to the modem?

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Start with removing any amplifiers, signal attenuators, or splitters from the coax.
From there check the line for kinks, damage, moisture in the line.
Check the connectors for improperly made ends, foil touching the copper coax line, loose connections, bad/old/cheap connectors, or corroded connections. Replace them if you do.
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...
https://kb.netgear.com/24311/Power-level-guidelines-for-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-router
https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html
https://highspeed.tips/docsis-events/

ISPs don't seem to notify there users of any changes in service sometimes. 

I'd contact the ISP to check to see which speed tier they have you on. CC/XF changed there speed tiers last year and seem to have removed the 1GB plan and split it into a 800Mb and 1.2Gb plan. This cause some issue with other NG products that don't support 1.2Gb speeds with 1Gb max supporting products. 

Message 6 of 42
Kitsap
Master

@subquest wrote:
I have been running a number of different speed test. It has been bouncing around a little more and has been a little lower, especially with Xfinity's soeed test. I was at 600 Mbps plan and saw upper 500s Mbps into 700s Mbps range. Test over last day been more mid 500s Mbps but the one I just ran went over 700 Mbps again. I can't help to wonder if Xfinity sends out the notice and does something.

For testing throughput capacity, recommend using the Ookla native operating system application for your device.  It is very consistent and removes the web browser variances from the process.  The application is available from the play stores.

Test results can vary from time of day to time of day.  It would not be unusual to see values change plus or minus 75 Mbps.

Message 7 of 42
subquest
Guide

Firmware - V10.01.07

Hardware - 2.02

Router TP-Link AX3200 Tri-Band

In looking through the logs, did raise a question regarding posting.  I see MAC addresses etc. that I wonder if shouldn't be posted.  What is the risk level of sharing the modem connection status and event log page? Is there something I should be looking for?   

I am currently using a CAT 5e cable... I was previously on 600 Mbps plan that they are bumping to 800 Mbps.  With getting close to 1 GB probably makes sense to swap in a CAT 6 cable.  The distance I need is only around 15 feet.  Any CAT 6 cable recommendation and are there any on Amazon that are good?

Message 8 of 42
subquest
Guide

Thank you for the Ookla speed test recommendation. It looks like a great tool to use, but must admit a little nervous ask for permission to make and manage phone calls.

I see it states... Speedtest will never make or manage your phone calls. Our app requests this permission to determine your cellular connection and provider in order to display that information in your test result.

Message 9 of 42
Kitsap
Master

@subquest wrote:

Thank you for the Ookla speed test recommendation. It looks like a great tool to use, but must admit a little nervous ask for permission to make and manage phone calls.

I see it states... Speedtest will never make or manage your phone calls. Our app requests this permission to determine your cellular connection and provider in order to display that information in your test result.

Just say no.  All they are doing is harvesting your data.  It is not necessary for the application to function.

Message 10 of 42
Kitsap
Master

@subquest wrote:

In looking through the logs, did raise a question regarding posting.  I see MAC addresses etc. that I wonder if shouldn't be posted.  What is the risk level of sharing the modem connection status and event log page? Is there something I should be looking for?   The cable connection pages are fine as is.  Just copy and paste into a word processing program and save as a pdf for attaching (not insert) to a message reply.

The event logs are good to copy and paste into a word processing page also.  There you can do a global search and replace for the first two or three pairs of the MAC address.  The one you are most concerned about is the one that follows CM-MAC.  That is the MAC address of your personal cable modem.  The one that starts with CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) is the MAC address of your ISP's head end.

I am currently using a CAT 5e cable... I was previously on 600 Mbps plan that they are bumping to 800 Mbps.  With getting close to 1 GB probably makes sense to swap in a CAT 6 cable.  Yes.  The distance I need is only around 15 feet.  Any CAT 6 cable recommendation and are there any on Amazon that are good?  Amazon Basic are very serviceable.  Nothing wrong with some different colors so they are easy to keep track of.

Message 11 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

We are looking for the CABLE EVENTS Log please. EVENTS Logs will have markings of Critical, Warnings and Notice. 
Yan can edit out any CM MAC ADDRESSES.

We need to see the Cable Connections status page and EVENTS logs pages so we can help give you some information to the ISP and to NG for review. If we can't see these then we can't help you more. 

@subquest wrote:

Firmware - V10.01.07

Hardware - 2.02

Router TP-Link AX3200 Tri-Band

In looking through the logs, did raise a question regarding posting.  I see MAC addresses etc. that I wonder if shouldn't be posted.  What is the risk level of sharing the modem connection status and event log page? Is there something I should be looking for?   

I am currently using a CAT 5e cable... I was previously on 600 Mbps plan that they are bumping to 800 Mbps.  With getting close to 1 GB probably makes sense to swap in a CAT 6 cable.  The distance I need is only around 15 feet.  Any CAT 6 cable recommendation and are there any on Amazon that are good?

Message 12 of 42
subquest
Guide

I will work on getting those logs.
Regarding Cat 6 cables... I see people post how they have to meet certain specs, such as wires being awg 23, etc.... others say it just has to support data level. I noticed lots cat 6 cables are actuall awg 24 to 26. What does it truly come down to for it to be a Cat 6 cable?

Reg
Message 13 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Can be quality and CAT can make a difference. I found with my CAX80 and Orbi 9 series, odd mysterious reboot issues with connecting at 2.5Gb at the modem using CAT6 UTP. I changed to CAT6A STP and the reboots mysteriously stopped on the Orbi router. 🤔

Message 14 of 42
Kitsap
Master

@subquest wrote:
I will work on getting those logs.
Regarding Cat 6 cables... I see people post how they have to meet certain specs, such as wires being awg 23, etc.... others say it just has to support data level. I noticed lots cat 6 cables are actuall awg 24 to 26. What does it truly come down to for it to be a Cat 6 cable?

Reg

For data only, the data transmission level is the primary driver.  Some applications use POE (Power Over Ethernet) for cameras or access points.  In that case the actual wire awg comes in to the discussion.

The Amazon Basic series of Cat 6 cables are very serviceable.

Message 15 of 42
subquest
Guide

I went to Advanced Home... Administration... Event Log... it shows critical, notices and warnings but the description shows Mac address. Should I be looking somewhere else as post above indicates... "We are looking for the CABLE EVENTS Log please, not the log that has the mac addresses"
Message 16 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to edit out the MAC addresses before posting. Yes, event logs with Critical, Warnings and such is needed along with the Cable Connections status full data page. 

Message 17 of 42
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

@subquest Are you able to send me a PM your Xfinity account number and the modem's MAC address our engineers can forward the issue to Comcast to look into it. 

DarrenM

Message 18 of 42
subquest
Guide

Attached is the Cable Connections page...  

Message 19 of 42
subquest
Guide

Attached is the event log page... I did do a manual refresh and this is the latest

Message 20 of 42
Kitsap
Master

Here is my take on your cable connections and event logs.  Will wait to see what others think.

Your power levels are a little low, but nothing unreasonable.  The signal power specifications for Netgear modems are from -7 dBmV to 7 dBmV with ideal being in the middle or a little high.

In your event log, all of your items are a month or more old.  Your modem struggled to boot back on Feb 13, 2023 and it took more than 8 minutes to complete.  The next event was on Feb 24, 2023 and nothing since.

Good job on the pages, it would have been helpful to see the last column on the right and the system up time.

Message 21 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

The ISP needs to review and resolve any Criticals, Errors or Warnings needs on the Event logs page. Means there is a line issue here. 

You have a ton of Correctables and some uncorrectables that needs to be zero's. 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Start with removing any amplifiers, signal attenuators, or splitters from the coax.
From there check the line for kinks, damage, moisture in the line.
Check the connectors for improperly made ends, foil touching the copper coax line, loose connections, bad/old/cheap connectors, or corroded connections. Replace them if you do.
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...
https://kb.netgear.com/24311/Power-level-guidelines-for-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-router
https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html

Be sure to send @DarrenM the requested information in a PM to him. Hopefully this will get figured out. 

Message 22 of 42
subquest
Guide

Missed info:

Current System Time: Wed Mar 22 13:55:26 2023
System Up Time: 905:10:48

I believe xfinity/comcast, but not positive the same date, might of had an issue around that time as I had  where my X1 player lost internet connection and the modem went out at the same time.  I am not aware of them being tied together in anyway.   My X1 eventually came back, but I had to reboot the modem.  

Message 23 of 42
Kitsap
Master

@subquest wrote:

Missed info:

Current System Time: Wed Mar 22 13:55:26 2023
System Up Time: 905:10:48

I believe xfinity/comcast, but not positive the same date, might of had an issue around that time as I had  where my X1 player lost internet connection and the modem went out at the same time.  I am not aware of them being tied together in anyway.   My X1 eventually came back, but I had to reboot the modem.  

The system up time seems quite odd to me.  If someone asked you how long it has been since you rebooted your modem, what would you say?

Have you sent the requested information to @DarrenM ??

Message 24 of 42
subquest
Guide

You raise sn interesting question... I have pulled the power to the modem, waited a number of minutes and then powered back up within the last month. I have not done a reboot through my Xfinity or using the modem interface. Does powering down and back essentially do the same thing?

Full circle... just received another email about my modem is no longer compatible.

Not yet due to comfort level of providing Mac address. I assume name would be good enough as xfinity can look up my Mac. I do have a question... dealing with Xfinity support has been very painful in the past. I have spent hours on the phone being passed from one person to the next or being mysteriously dropped when a solution could not be found. One time we spent several hours trying to get tv boxes to work and then later a new modem, when we did finally get a person on the line that knew their stuff, my wife broke down it tears. We explained the guy why and he was proud he could help and explained that he was very aware of the challenges many face. All this being said... is there a way to engage Xfinity support that you reach knowledgeable people that are able to help without first going through all the difficult layers people going off of scripts?
Message 25 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 41 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7