Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM2000 and Optimum

JamesU
Aspirant

CM2000 and Optimum

Hello,

Last night at about 2:00am or so, my Netgear CM2000 cable modem stopped working.

I woke up around 5:00am to find the household's smart devices complaining, the cable modem not working, and my Wi-Fi Router (Orbi Mesh) glowing magenta.  I tried unplugging the cable modem and plugging it back in, and at that point the LEDs on the cable modem changed from the 'solid on' to 'very rapidly flashing' and the device did not boot.  I tried a spare power adapter and the same behavior happened.  I held in the back RESET function button for over 30 seconds and it had no effect.  I always keep my network gear on a high-end UPS, and I know there were no power surges that could have done this.  So I am left with two main conclusions:

1) Optimum bricked my cable modem overnight trying to manipulate it.

OR

2) I simply had an early hardware failure.

The CM2000 cable modem has been up and running fine for almost 2 months.  I don't know how to determine "why" the modem broke, but it broke.

I am thankful the retailer is taking the cable modem back, but I'd like to hear opinions on what others may think has happened.

Thanks

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: CM2000 and Optimum

the flashing lights do usually indicate a failure. 

I'd start and RMA with netgear. 

Message 2 of 3
Kitsap
Master

Re: CM2000 and Optimum

I agree, most likely an early failure. 

You are probably better off to pursue return of the modem to the retailer.  That way you would receive a new unit in exchange with a new warranty.  If you pursue the RMA route with Netgear you would most likely receive a refurbished unit in return with the warranty start date the date of your original purchase.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7