Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM500 Ethernet LED non-stop flashing

DCF1942
Aspirant

CM500 Ethernet LED non-stop flashing

Just got a CM500 installed with Times Warner Cable a few days ago.  All lights are green.  Status page shows good power level and SNR, firmware version is up to date and I got the paid speeds in tests.  However, the Ethernet LED won't stop flashing no matter the modem is connected to a router or directly to a computer.  Even at times when I'm sure there are no activities.  When connected to my router (ASUS RT-AC68U), it makes the Ethernet light on the router flashing non-stop too and that was not the case when I had AT&T U-Verse.  Is this normal or there's some issues with the modem?  Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

Re: CM500 Ethernet LED non-stop flashing

It should not be a defect. If you do any issue in regular use-cases, dont hesitate to PM me.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

@DCF1942

yes, it is normal.

Normally Etherner LED flashing mean there is some traffic.

even when we think there are no activities, there is still some background traffic (example is Windows Updates, background mail fetch, NTP packets) always going in. you can easily prove this by seeing a wireshark capture on your PC when you are not doing anything.

Message 2 of 4
DCF1942
Aspirant

Thanks for the response.

I understand there are "invisible" background activities going on all the time.  However, the blinking continues during rebooting for the only computer (I've tried 2 different ones) connected BEFORE Windows is loaded.  When I connect the modem to my router, it still flashes after I shutdown all my devices linked to the router, wired or wirelessly.  The AT&T modem I had showed no activities during nights.  Maybe the cable modem works differently from the U-Verse modem?  It's almost feels like the CM500 is initiating the activities.  Tried different Ethernet and coax cables too.  For the time being, it's not affecting my daily use of my computers.  But I want to be sure the modem is not defective and I can still change it from the store if that's the case.

Message 3 of 4
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

It should not be a defect. If you do any issue in regular use-cases, dont hesitate to PM me.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7