Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM600 Hot Operating Temperature 109 Degrees Fahrenheit - Fire Hazard?

lancek
Initiate

CM600 Hot Operating Temperature 109 Degrees Fahrenheit - Fire Hazard?

Just purchased a Netgear CM600 and noticed that its normal operating temperature was hot compared to my other electronic devices (Arris SB6183, Netgear WND3400 V2). The Arris and WND3400V2 were cool enough where measuring their temp was not necessary.I used two baby thermometers and measured the temperature above the top vent, but no touching the modem, and both read above 109 degrees Ferhenheit.  Room ambient temberature was 86 degrees Ferhenheit at the time. Is this the normal operating temperature for this device? This modem will need to stay on 24/7 but if it is this hot I may need to look at another make/model.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
mediatrek
Virtuoso

Re: CM600 Hot Operating Temperature 109 Degrees Fahrenheit - Fire Hazard?

I could not find info on the CM600’s internal operating temperatures, but it is rated to operate in environments up to 104 degrees ferhenheit.Does the power LED light blink red at all on your unit? If so, that is the indication that the unit is too warm and is overheating.

The CM600 is powered by the Broadcom BCM3384 chip, and I could not find a datasheet that offered temp ranges for that either.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
mediatrek
Virtuoso

I could not find info on the CM600’s internal operating temperatures, but it is rated to operate in environments up to 104 degrees ferhenheit.Does the power LED light blink red at all on your unit? If so, that is the indication that the unit is too warm and is overheating.

The CM600 is powered by the Broadcom BCM3384 chip, and I could not find a datasheet that offered temp ranges for that either.

Message 2 of 4
lancek
Initiate

The power LED is not blinking red.

So that means it is safe for room temperatures at 104 degrees and below. Hopefully that is true.

It also seems that it is only the top 1/4 of the device gets hot. The bottom 3/4 is cool.

Thanks for your input.

Message 3 of 4
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

It does not look that hot.

can you find the temp on top housing by touching a vent area and a non-vent area?

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7