Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM600 Modem requesting a DHCP renewal approx. every 4 1/2 hours. Seems too frequent. Is it normal?

Josh72
Aspirant

CM600 Modem requesting a DHCP renewal approx. every 4 1/2 hours. Seems too frequent. Is it normal?

Firmware 1.01.14

My Spectrum (ISP) DHCP lease is 1 week, and has been for years. My previous Arris SB6141 modem never requested a renewal prematurely, only when it was time. The CM600 is requesting a renewal about every 4 1/2 hours, which I see numerous times in the log. My ISP support confirmed it also, and they also confirmed the current lease doesn't expire for a week.

Is this normal for the CM600 or Netgear modems in general?

Attached is an example of the log.

Model: CM600|CM600 High Speed Cable Modem
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CM600 Modem requesting a DHCP renewal approx. every 4 1/2 hours. Seems too frequent. Is it norma

Has a reset been performed on the modem?

Have the ISP re-provision the modem from there side. Power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back on. 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. 
Be sure there are not coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem.

Message 2 of 5
Josh72
Aspirant

Re: CM600 Modem requesting a DHCP renewal approx. every 4 1/2 hours. Seems too frequent. Is it norma

Thanks FurryE38.

I should have mentioned these other things.

ISP is Spectrum.

Yes, it's been factory reset.

Line quality to/from the modem is great, as verified by me and ISP.

There are no COAX splitters, and the line from the modem to the box outside my house is basically new...they replaced it last year.

I guess you're saying this isn't normal for this modem. My ISP told me that our leases are for 1 week, and they verified how many days left was on the lease when I called them. So, it sounds like a bug in the modem, but I'll have them reprovision it.

Every 4 hours, I get these logs:

DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option (this is OK, many people get this)

DHCP Renew - lease parameters UTC Time Offset modified

DHCP Renew - lease parameters Time Protocol Servers modified

Model: CM600|CM600 High Speed Cable Modem
Message 3 of 5
wobachuck
Aspirant

Any update on this issue?  I have a CM1100 that is doing the samething.  No Splitter, near 0.0 power levels dBmV no other issues other than 4 hour dhcp renewal warning and renews.  My ISP spectrum said I needed to factory reset my wireless router because they claim it was doing it but the mac address in the description was for the modem.  Either way I did the factory reset and re-entered all my setting but no change.  

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

So is this causing a problem? 

@wobachuck wrote:

Any update on this issue?  I have a CM1100 that is doing the samething.  No Splitter, near 0.0 power levels dBmV no other issues other than 4 hour dhcp renewal warning and renews.  My ISP spectrum said I needed to factory reset my wireless router because they claim it was doing it but the mac address in the description was for the modem.  Either way I did the factory reset and re-entered all my setting but no change.  

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7