Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM7000 dropping connection. ISP say's time to replace modem

rosede
Aspirant

CM7000 dropping connection. ISP say's time to replace modem

I have a four year old CM7000 modem, firmware version is v1.02.04. About a month ago, my ISP had a major outage in my area.  I saw trucks outside of my neighborhood working on something and I was down for an entire day.  Ever since then, I've had sporadic and intermittent service. The download channels are full of Uncomfortable errors.  The logs are full of the following errors:

• No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
  • Ranging Request Retries exhausted
  • Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted
  • Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - initializing MAC

Called my ISP multiple times. This most recent call I was told that I needed a firmware update, however, the update failed when they tried to push it to my modem.  I was finally told my modem is long in the tooth and needed to be replaced.

From what I've been able to determine, the errors can point to a splitter or loose connection.  I don't have any splitters in the line and the connection(s) are tight. 

Is it possible for me to update the modem firmware? From what I've read, it comes from the ISP, but since they can't get it pushed, can I do it?

Finally, is my modem to old?  Is it time to update?  Is there someway for me to test the modem to see if it's having issues?

Thanks

Daryl

Message 1 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

IF the modem was working before the outages and the ISP made changes, they need to be contacted and they need to look at the cable connections status page and events log and resolve any Errors and Criticals seen here. 

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status and event log page.
https://kb.netgear.com/30007/How-do-I-obtain-the-cable-connection-information-from-a-NETGEAR-cable-m...
https://kb.netgear.com/30008/How-do-I-view-or-clear-the-event-logs-on-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mode...

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Start with removing any amplifiers, signal attenuators, or splitters from the coax.
From there check the line for kinks, damage, moisture in the line.
Check the connectors for improperly made ends, foil touching the copper coax line, loose connections, bad/old/cheap connectors, or corroded connections. Replace them if you do.
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...
https://kb.netgear.com/24311/Power-level-guidelines-for-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-router?article=24311
https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html

Its up to ISP to update any C series modem FW. There is no user updatable FW for C series modems. 

Message 2 of 19
rosede
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 

Thank you for the reply.

I do not have any splitters, or anything else on this cable.  The cable plugs directly into my modem.  The cable is good quality cable. I've done the power cycle, multiple times.

Please find attached singles and logs.

Thank you for your assistance.

Daryl

Message 3 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Some of the channels are at the high power limit and a bit over. 

You have correct and un-correctables that should be all zeros. 

Check the outside or from wall cabling to ISP service box for any splitters. 

You have lots of criticals that shouldn't be tehre. The ISP needs to help with this. 

Message 4 of 19
rosede
Aspirant

I've scheduled an appointment to have them come out and check the signals. 

Would a factory reset help with this?  The person on the phone tried to push out an update, but for some reason it failed. 

Thanks

Message 5 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes try a reset...press the reset button for 10 seconds then release. Walk thru the setup with a wired PC and web browser. 

Might power OFF for 1 minute then back ON. Then have the ISP try to push the update. 

Message 6 of 19
rosede
Aspirant

A quick update.

I just had my ISP onsite.  The person found a bad Moca filter.  I don't know if that is how to spell it or not.  I was told that this can cause my signal lose and T3 errors. 

I'll keep an eye on it, hopefully it has been resolved.

Thanks

Daryl

Message 7 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes those can be a cause. 

Message 8 of 19
rosede
Aspirant

I'm still getting a small amount of signal loss.  Nothing in the logs.  Please see the latest PDF that I attached and let me know if there is any concern.

Thank you

Daryl

Message 9 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya some of the channels are too high on power. 

Still seeing some Correct and uncorrectables though they are better. 

Message 10 of 19
rosede
Aspirant

Any other suggestions on how to clean these up, or should I just let it go?

Thanks

Daryl

Message 11 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Ask the ISP for a inline attenuator or help reduce the power some. 

Check all cable lines and fittings to be sure the connectors or screwed on well and snug. 

Message 12 of 19
rosede
Aspirant

I will do that.  Thank you for all of your assistance.

Daryl

Message 13 of 19
rosede
Aspirant

Just a quick question, when I tell the ISP the reason why I need the inline attenuator, I would like to point to the power issues, which channels are too high, and what should the power levels be?

Thank you

Daryl

Message 14 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 15 of 19
rosede
Aspirant

Thank you once again for your help.  I really appreciate it.

Daryl

Message 16 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 17 of 19
rosede
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 

I would like to following up on this issue.  I had a technician out who provided a splitter with two attenuators, each with a different level of of power reduction.  I am currently on the un-attenuated port of the splitter. This port is a -5.5db out.  The attached file show's the current power levels and errors that I am still receiving.  All of the power levels are now within tolerance, so I don't know if I want to try one of the other attenuators or not.

Please advice. 

Thank you

Daryl

Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

You still have some Correct and Un-correctables. I'd be checking COAX cabling and fittings. 

If looks good here, you may want to try a different modem in place to see if the problems continue or not. If you get another NG modem, you'll be able to see same pages for results.

@rosede 

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7