Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot Login to Orbi but Internet Working

Dhinla
Guide

Cannot Login to Orbi but Internet Working

Within the past week, I was able to login to my Orbi without any issue.  I know Netgear pushed new firmware in past 48 hours, but don't know if that could have auto-installed.

My set-up is:

Netgear CAX80 with wireless OFF - 192.168.0.1

Orbi RBK753 - 192.168.1.1

The Orbi app doesn't see any Orbi or satellite (this was fine a few days ago).

If I type in 192.168.1.1 - I get an error cannot connect from Windows (Chrome, Firefox, Edge browsers - Cache all cleared)... I cannot login from Safari on a Mac laptop... I cannot utilize Orbi app.

I have rebooted everything (modem + Orbis) and this did not help at all.

However - my internet is working fine.  And just one additional detail - when I go into Windows Settings, I can see that my router's IP address is 192.168.1.1, so it doesn't seem like suddenly the Orbi is using a different address.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Cannot Login to Orbi but Internet Working

A couple questions. 

1. why turn off the wifi on the CAX? it actually has a better wifi frontend than the orbi does. You could leave the wifi enabled and just make sure its on a different channel. then put the devices close to it that aren't mobile on its wifi. It'd offload the orbi and give you a backup

2. Do you have the orbi setup in access point mode? That'd have both devices on the same subnet and prevent the double nat you're currently in. 

Message 2 of 7
Dhinla
Guide

It really doesn’t matter that I’ve turned off wireless on CAX80. Orbi works great. No, Orbi not in AP mode. Orbi was working fine and I logged in a few days ago no problem. Since Netgear pushed out firmware update, I can’t login to web portal AND Orbi iOS app can’t find the Orbi, but it is clearly working. And it is on 192.168.1.1, per Windows. 

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch. If you haven't bridged the CAX80, is possible that the RBR has changes it's IP address from 192.168.1.1 to something else like 10.something as the CAX80s default IP address is also .1.1 and the RBR will avoid this conflict. 

Message 4 of 7
Dhinla
Guide

As I mentioned in my original post, I can see from Windows that Orbi remains at 192.168.1.1.  I have the CAX80 at 192.168.0.1

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok so if you factory reset the RBR and walk thru the setup wizard. Use a wireless mobile device with orbi app loaded on it and start a NEW Setup on the Orbi app. 

Message 6 of 7

@Dhinla wrote:

My set-up is:

Netgear CAX80 with wireless OFF - 192.168.0.1

Orbi RBK753 - 192.168.1.1

Do you have a reason for creating a network that has "double NAT"?

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

That arrangement is going to create the access issues that seem to aflict you.

This for example:

The Orbi app doesn't see any Orbi or satellite (this was fine a few days ago).

If I type in 192.168.1.1 - I get an error cannot connect from Windows (Chrome, Firefox, Edge browsers - Cache all cleared)... I cannot login from Safari on a Mac laptop... I cannot utilize Orbi app.

A lot of people use Orbi routers in AP mode to get round those roadblocks.

By the way, Netgear warns that Safari won't work for various things. such as Password Recovery.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7