Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Comcast Xfinity Triple Play DOCSIS 3.1 Requirements

jonmacsr
Tutor

Comcast Xfinity Triple Play DOCSIS 3.1 Requirements

Will Netgear be coming out with a replacement/upgraded version of the C7100V that supports DOCSIS 3.1? Comcast/Xfinity is now providing "up to" gigabit download speeds in my area, but the gateway MUST be DOCSIS 3.1 compliant. The only Comcast/Xfinity approved gateway that supports both phone and data, as well as wireless networking, is the C7100V. Can it be upgraded to support DOCSIS 3.1? Will Netgear be releasing a replacement or upgrade that will support voice, data and wireless networking?

Model: C7100V|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Comcast Xfinity Triple Play DOCSIS 3.1 Requirements

DOCSIS is a hardware spec, not a firmware spec. Would be a hard change which can't be done. 

If you want to go with 1Gb services from your ISP, then you'll need to get a D3.1 supporting modem. I recommend going with CM1000, 1100 or 1200. And then connecting a external wifi router of your choice. 

Message 2 of 4
jonmacsr
Tutor

You’re missing the point. The C7100V is a modem, a wired/wireless router and phone interface in one package. It is DOCSIS 3.0. It is the ONLY Netgear solution for Comcast’s Triple Play package. My question is: What is Netgear’s solution to keep up with Comcast’s speed? The C7100 was the best when released. Why isn’t Netgear keeping up?
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Again the C7100 is a HW based on DOCSIS 3.0 spec. If your ISP requires 3.1 for 1Gb service, then you'll have to get a 3.1 supporting modem thats based on the 3.1 spec. Again, this is a hardware 3.0 spec and chip set used in these modems. They can't and will never be updated as it takes a different hardware chipset. Something that a firmware upgrade will never change. 

If you want a 3.1 supporting modem, then you'll need to review the C7800 or the CAX80 which is the new gateway modem thats AX and DOCSIS 3.1 supporting. Also NGs CM1000, 1100 and 1200 series modems are also 3.1 supporting.If you need Voice then try NG CM1150v modem. NG does have 3.1 products and seems to be keeping up. Ask the ISP if any of these are supported on there system. It's up to the ISP to test and certify and approve modem products from modem mfrs for use on there system. 

I recommend getting in to a modem only unit then connectup a external wifi router for better flexibility and support needs. Cable ISPs push FW to cable modems and is not user upgradable. Having a external router, users have more control over FW udpates. 

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7