Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connect to NAS SSK SSM F100

Chris156
Aspirant

Connect to NAS SSK SSM F100

Bottom Line Up Front:

I am trying to browse pictures and watch video through the Netgear Router DLNA Server with content from my NAS on my Smart TV.
All of this "used to work" Now, nothing is working like it did.

My setup (following the path of user to content):

TV: LG 60LF6100 BUSMLJR

[ I also own a Roku: Ultra 4760X ]

Router: Netgear: AC1900 Model: C700v2

NAS: SSK Model: SSM F-100 (4TB) 

The NAS Supports Samba, DLNA, and UPnP. However neither the TV or Roku can see it in either wired or wireless configuration. Both display devices can see the NAS if they are directly wired to it with a USB cable. The Netgear Router cannot see the SSK NAS when directly connected with a USB Cable (I found this to be odd).

The SSK NAS IS visible (through their App) over the Internet.

My TV can see the "readyDLNA" server, but cannot "see" the NAS.

The NAS is directly wired (ethernet) to the Router.

The Router can "see" the SSK NAS, but only as a connected device.

The tech support from SSK tells me to use their Cell Phone app to cast pictures or video to the TV. This does not work as they describe. It is also like crawling over broken glass for broken for browsing pictures.

The least painful workaround that I have found is to download media to a USB Stick drive and plug that directly into the Roku or TV.

I am a programmer by profession, feel free to speak geek.

Thank you for reading though all of this.

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Something to contact the mfr of the NAS as well regarding there product...

Message 2 of 5
Chris156
Aspirant

Hi. Thanks for the suggestions.

I probably should have added that I have attempted various flavors of Reset/Restart systems and components.
I was probably less than clear that although the NAS (SSK SSM F-100) advertises itself as DLNA and UPnP capable; it isn't really capable of doing so.

You "can" cast a (singular) video or a (singular) picture by activating the DLNA feature on the SSKCloud cell phone app. This is by far way too tedious to be useful.

I was hoping that someone knew of a way to get the Netgear Router (and thereby the reasyShare DLNA Server) to see the contents of the NAS.

I am thinking that this is not going to be feasible without dumping drive contents to a USB stick.

Small note: I have found that the Netgear Router does not interface very well with 2 different 2TB USB HDD devices that I own.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya thats not possible. Anything on NAS is considered a external source. The ReadyNAS and Share and such require the USB attached storage device. 

I would inquire about the NAS having it's own sharing abilities and such with the Mfr. May have something there. 

Message 4 of 5
Chris156
Aspirant

Thank you.
Even negative confirmation is better than beating my head against a wall. Thanks!
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7