Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connected Device Name

Jantizzy
Aspirant

Connected Device Name

C6300v2 – AC1750 WiFi Cable Modem Router 

From laptop, login to router, I changed each connected device(s) name from unknown to  - example -  laptop, cell, printer

When viewing from Nighthawk app, it changes the device(s) name back to unknown and there is no way in the app to change connected device names?

Why is it doing this?

So far I am not impressed with apps capabilities, or lack thereof.

Jantizzy_0-1679183435169.png

Message 1 of 6
Kitsap
Master

Re: Connected Device Name

@Jantizzy wrote:

C6300v2 – AC1750 WiFi Cable Modem Router 

From laptop, login to router, I changed each connected device(s) name from unknown to  - example -  laptop, cell, printer

When viewing from Nighthawk app, it changes the device(s) name back to unknown and there is no way in the app to change connected device names?

Why is it doing this?

So far I am not impressed with apps capabilities, or lack thereof.

Jantizzy_0-1679183435169.png

On a computer, access the user interface via a web browser. 

Go to the Advanced -> Security -> Access control section.  If not already enabled, temporarily enable the option, and apply the change.

From the list of devices, select one and then edit the name.  There are limits to the naming convention depending on the model of device and firmware version.  Avoid special characters and spaces.  Apply the changes.

As a separate action, return the access control option to the way you found it and apply the changes.

Reboot the modem/router and restart the application on your mobile device.

The mobile applications are not always successful in configuring a modem/router.  In particular one with an older design like the R6300v2.

Your success may vary depending on the web browser you use (Firefox, Edge, Chrome, etc.) and the method you use to connect the laptop to the modem/router.  Ethernet cable is preferred for configuration, Wi-Fi has been known to be successful.  For web browser choice, you may have to try more than one.

Message 2 of 6
Kitsap
Master

@Jantizzy wrote:

Yes, I know, already did all that  -  Which you did not share in any way shape or form.

Doesn't address the original question as to why the nighthawk mobile app makes changes to - the already successful re-naming of connected devices, thru (browser) genie software of the modem/router - that has remained in place for years. 

Not clear in your original post.

Nighthawk app does not give you the option to edit device list, but automatically changes it back to unknown, which negates ease of administration since neither name or IP address is easily viewable, having to click the details of each connection to see IP address.

Attempting to configure or troubleshoot a router or modem or combination device with a mobile application is folly at best.  Definitely a work in progress by Netgear.

So I guess your answer is really . . you don't know and more than likely it is a glitch in the app that needs to be addressed.

Less likely a glitch and more likely a limitation of the application relative to an older design modem/router.

Message 3 of 6
Jantizzy
Aspirant

Hmm, well look at that, from the actual Netgear page, "Netgear genie software."

Jantizzy_1-1679235298169.png

Sad that my first interaction was with some passive aggressive insulting know nothing.

You may want to work on trying to be a less condescending twit.

Message 4 of 6
Jantizzy
Aspirant

Jantizzy_0-1679235555781.png

Oh No ! there it is again . . . . .

Message 5 of 6
Jantizzy
Aspirant

About Jantizzy - NETGEAR Communities  wrote:

Yes, I know, already did all that  -  Which you did not share in any way shape or form.  Yes I did

Doesn't address the original question as to why the nighthawk mobile app makes changes to - the already successful re-naming of connected devices, thru (browser) genie software of the modem/router - that has remained in place for years. 

Not clear in your original post.  Actually it was

Nighthawk app does not give you the option to edit device list, but automatically changes it back to unknown, which negates ease of administration since neither name or IP address is easily viewable, having to click the details of each connection to see IP address.

Attempting to configure or troubleshoot a router or modem or combination device with a mobile application is folly at best.  Definitely a work in progress by Netgear.  Hmm, Remote router management - as per Netgears suggestion and purpose.  Never said I was configuring or troubleshooting

So I guess your answer is really . . you don't know and more than likely it is a glitch in the app that needs to be addressed.

Less likely a glitch and more likely a limitation of the application relative to an older design modem/router.  Not a Limitation - an adverse reaction is a glitch not limitation.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7